"Parks and Recreation" New TV Show

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgln

Reaction score
Turned it off 5 minutes in. Is it me or is this "The Office" with different people?
My guess from the network, camera shots and the way they seemed to talk to the camera it is from the creators of The Office. My guess is people who like The Office probably liked it. I don't really like that show either although I know many do. Aside from the storyline I don't like the camera shots and that talking into the camera. I mean where does that come from? There is no reality to it. Do you mean to tell me these people have cameramen at work? At least the Monday night comedy lineup I can at least get a sense of some reality and that they are in a "real" world. To me that network is weird when it comes to sitcoms.

It is by the same creators as the office. They are supposed to be a "documentary" the same way Spinal Tap was. Didn't really like the Parks and Recreation, but it was only the first episode, so we will see.

As for the Monday night lineups...well I'm not really into the canned laughter and "joke" setups that you can see coming from 3 miles away. To each his own, I guess.

It is by the same creators as the office. They are supposed to be a "documentary" the same way Spinal Tap was. Didn't really like the Parks and Recreation, but it was only the first episode, so we will see.

As for the Monday night lineups...well I'm not really into the canned laughter and "joke" setups that you can see coming from 3 miles away. To each his own, I guess.

I guess since the canned laughter is as old as dirt I don't notice it. I like light humor, I have enough reality in my life. :D

Talking to the camera I don't like. Is there a camera crew at their work? Are they talking to me like I work there with them? If so why don't I participate or why is it I am not always there but see everything. I don't like it, but like you said to each his own.

I think the show is garbage. i didn't laugh once and i watched the hole freakin thing. not my cup of tea. now the office i thought was funny sometime but mostly cause of Steve Carrell

I did a search on Yahoo and it sounds like most or all of the Monday night lineup has a live audience during taping. I am sure they can touch up the laughs but they must be mostly from live people watching. I laugh out loud sometimes so I guess it could be live. Let’s face it, most of the people who would go probably like the show anyway. I was in southern CA for 3 months and wanted to go see the tonight show, no luck they were booked solid. I was going to see a sitcom I was not thrilled about but wound up not going anyway.

I didnt' catch it but wanted to because iot was by the creators of The Office and I lvoe that show.

JGLN - Yes there is supposed to be a camera crew at their work, like said above, it's suppose to be like a film crew is filming them for a documentary.

Really? Why? I think that is weird.
More weird than the the fat, working class father, hot mother, wisecracking son, and rebellious tween daughter sitting on three sides of the dining room table while you spy on them?

I didnt' catch it but wanted to because iot was by the creators of The Office and I lvoe that show.

JGLN - Yes there is supposed to be a camera crew at their work, like said above, it's suppose to be like a film crew is filming them for a documentary.

I guess someone coming into series late would never know that (me). If they had a camera crew say at the opening of each show then I would have gotten it.

More weird than the the fat, working class father, hot mother, wisecracking son, and rebellious tween daughter sitting on three sides of the dining room table while you spy on them?

Not sure what show that is but a camera crew taping people at work for how many years now, in the shows "time"? Maybe, but I see you point.

Not sure what show that is but a camera crew taping people at work for how many years now, in the shows "time"? Maybe, but I see you point.

All of them. They are all the same - King of Queens, According to Jim, etc

All of them. They are all the same - King of Queens, According to Jim, etc

Their style is based on the old style of live plays only with more realistic stages and recorded for TV broadcast. I am glad they are not filmed like a movie; I like the play style for this medium. I wasn't saying it was realistic, just more realistic to me than talking to the audience (so I thought anyway).

I never knew they are supposed to have a camera crew at work. But why would workers make fun of their boss and goof off behind his back if they were being taped? I guess I still don't get it. Is the film crew only there when they talk into the camera?

I wanted to check out Parks and Recreation but I'm never too good and watching TV the day it airs. I'll see if it's on Hulu and get back to it. I Love the Office but I'm not sure if I' like an 'office clone'.

Also, if you are going to do a show that is set in Indiana, make sure there are no palm trees in the outdoor shots.

Probably something out by the pool, fake. They do use fake scenes for outside the house for looking from the inside since they are in a studio, not a real house. But with a live audience ("According to Jim" Uses One) how could they fit a studio audience in a real house?

The office just like real life? In the crazy house maybe but in my 30 years working I never saw anything remotely close to that. A boss breaking down every other day? That dude could probably get long term disability and a room at the mental hospital if that was real life.

You must be talking about another show since "Jim" was in Illinois I believe. But same thing, probably a fake tree for the yard. People have them all over here in NJ. Don't ask me why though.

From what I've seen, that is HomeBrewTalk.com! :ban:

No doubt!

I didn't see that show, although from the commercial I wasn't sure I really wanted to. I do like The Office though. I love it when they talk to the camera and reveal information that the others don't know.

Plus, that Pam and Jim love interest thing had me hooked, and Dwight is an awesome character. Michael sometimes makes me cringe instead of laugh, but he's funny too. And Pam is hot. Hot in a very good looking, but not fake good looking way. Like if I had someone like her in our office she'd totally be prime fantasy fodder. :ban:

No doubt!

I didn't see that show, although from the commercial I wasn't sure I really wanted to. I do like The Office though. I love it when they talk to the camera and reveal information that the others don't know.

Plus, that Pam and Jim love interest thing had me hooked, and Dwight is an awesome character. Michael sometimes makes me cringe instead of laugh, but he's funny too. And Pam is hot. Hot in a very good looking, but not fake good looking way. Like if I had someone like her in our office she'd totally be prime fantasy fodder. :ban:

That Pam and Jim thing kind of what finally made me stop watching but it was directly related to something that was happening to me in real life. I met my fiancee here at work and while we were dating one of my co-workers was trying to steal her from me. I won but it was no fun every time I turned around he was flirting with her, especially in front of others.
When the show first aired I was interested in it but just too many things eventually turned me off, Michael's character being one of them. I was looking for a show to make me laugh not creep me out.
I thought about Pam too. If I worked in that office in real life I would have to quit but not before trying to hit that. :D

My guess is people who like The Office probably liked it.

Nope, Parks and Recreation wasn't funny at all. I even gave it the whole episode.

I don't like the camera shots and that talking into the camera. I mean where does that come from? There is no reality to it. Do you mean to tell me these people have cameramen at work?

It's supposed to be a fake reality show. The ones like Deadliest Catch, not the game shows that are called "reality" shows.

Parks and Rec didn't do anything for me either, I'll probably give it one more episode and then go back to watching Oregon Field guide between My Name is Earl and The Office. It was better than Cath and Kim though, that show was terrible.

Sorry for digging this up but I want to take a moment and thank all of you who made this show a success. Looks like this show has a good chance of being continued from an article on Yahoo . :mad:

I have to hear my coworkers say "That's what she said" every five seconds at work. For that reason I hate The Office.

I have to hear my coworkers say "That's what she said" every five seconds at work. For that reason I hate The Office.

I love that from the office because he never uses it right!
I love Steve Carell and The Office. Haven't caught P&R yet. But I tihnk I'd like it cause i like stupid humor.

I didnt know people gave a shat about reality. Could you imagine if they made a show, like The Office, and made it realistic? Jesus Christ that would be lame. A bunch of wankers sitting around on computers typing on internet forums :fro:

I am a big fan of The Office, and Parks and Recreation certainly got some laughs out of me. I don't like it as much, but I am usually sitting down to watch TV at that time on Thursdays anyways, so I watch it.

Back