pardon the newbie question about law

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmyWB

Reaction score
Hi folks, first of all, please pardon me for asking what is probably a dumb question to seasoned brewers....

I'm thinking of having a party to celebrate the release of my new short story collection and I need to know if it's illegal to serve our homebrew at the party.

Not to sell it, just to serve it. We're in NC. And does it matter if the party is on pubic vs private property.

Thanks.
Amy

You're probably OK, especially if you serve it at home. But you should check your local laws rather than ask a bunch of homebrewers.

The homebrewer's association outlines the laws for each state on its website (by no means comprehensive, but it's a good resource). Here's NC:
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/government-affairs/statutes/north-carolina

It sounds like you're ok, and if the party's at your house then you're 100% good to go, as the law in your state says you can make and transport (malt beverages) for your own personal use as well as for "your guests." Where's your party?

If you're going to ask us for advice and assistance, then it's only right that you invite us to your party. :D

Your beer better be quite good,or they may think it reflects your literary style. Just to play devil's advocate. So brew a beer you know always comes out good. that'll put you in a very good light with John Q.

everything you need to know about law, and the potential to increase the elevation of your position in relation to it, can be determined from the great films of one mr steven frederic seagal.

I stand by my original opinion,being somewhat the same as Mr Segal in this regard. Your brew better be at least as good as your words.

And does it matter if the party is on pubic vs private property.

From my experience, illegal or not, parties with beer on pubic property lead to unwanted stickiness.

But that does depend on the state. If serving your own beer to your friends on public property is legasl,that the neighy dayers don't have anything to say. but pri9vate property is
ALWAYS easier!

Thanks ya'll! I looked at the site you mentioned and it was most helpful. I appreciate the the comments and guidance. And yeah, when i decide where the party will be I'll let you know.

Thanks guys.

From another North Carolinian. I transported 4 cornies across county lines to a memorial day cookout at which the attendance numbered 133. I haven't had any problems yet.

Contact(and join) the nc brewers guild. www.ncbeer.org

Back