Pandora Radio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
g damn money grubbing recording industry!
While my kids (18 & 23 now) were in their teens I didn't allow them to exchange CD copies with friends. They could make a mix CD from their own (purchased) collection, but not make a copy to give to a friend. But I've gotten so fed up with the way music is sold now. I've bought downloads only to have the licensing screw up and not be able to play the music anymore; same with my daughter. At this point, I've told 'em never mind. After twenty years of making sure we didn't cheat the music industry, the music industry decide by default that I was a cheat. Screw it; I agree with your sentiments, malkore.

Rick

While my kids (18 & 23 now) were in their teens I didn't allow them to exchange CD copies with friends. They could make a mix CD from their own (purchased) collection, but not make a copy to give to a friend. But I've gotten so fed up with the way music is sold now. I've bought downloads only to have the licensing screw up and not be able to play the music anymore; same with my daughter. At this point, I've told 'em never mind. After twenty years of making sure we didn't cheat the music industry, the music industry decide by default that I was a cheat. Screw it; I agree with your sentiments, malkore.

Rick

That's some of my problems. If I buy a CD or download(legally) song, I'm told what I, the purchaser can do with it. If I steal it, I can do as I please. Hmmm tough choice.

When the RIAA decided that guitar tabs were 'stealing intellectual property'...I knew they were never going to turn into the 'good guys'. (guitar tabs are very simplified versions of songs that people figured out how to play....they are not a real substitution for sheet music).

What troubles me is: it cost 160million dollars to make Transformers movie...and I can buy the DVD for like $15.
It cost like half a million to produce a CD and make a ton of copies to sell...and those are at least $15 too.

Now, I suck at math...horribly...but something about the above comparison makes my eye start twitchin' and my blood start to boilin'...

If the record lables weren't so damned greedy, they could sell music at prices that were so agreeable, nobody would bother with trying to steal music.

I'm sure their next step is suing street performers who cover a popular song...or just a random person strumming his guitar in the greenspace at a college who doesn't pay the royalty fees to [insert band/label name here].

Well I'm gonna go shower...hopefully I don't get arrested for singing while I soap up my naughty bits...

Slightly different Malkore... Movie studios make back their investment in about 4 weeks in the theaters and dvd sales are usually gravy. The record companies rely on the media sales for the all of it.

You don't actually think they should give away the rights to perform songs do you? I was a professional drummer for about 5 years playing strictly covers for money. Yup, we had to pay performance license fees through BMG. Smaller establishments will sometimes pay a blanket fee to cover all the bands that play there but once you get a little bigger and start playing joints that have national acts, they expect the performers to have the rights.

Back