Pale Saaz recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CChamplin

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place for this. If not, Sorry. So, recently I found a super deal on a 50lb bag of Breiss 2 row pale malt. At the same time I found a 1lb bag of Czech Saaz 2.4AA hops. I was thinking about trying a SMaSH with the two, but I've got .5lb of Crystal 60L laying around too.
Was thinking about something like this:

9.5lbs Pale malt
.5 Crystal 60L

1oz Saaz @ 60min
.5oz Saaz @ 15min
1oz Saaz @ 5min

Danstar Nottingham yeast.

What do you guys think? Any input would be appreciated as I have very little experience with Saaz Hops.

You probably have had saaz hops if youve ever had any czech lagers, or many other continental pale lagers. It is the spicier noble hop, it has a particular taste.

Id hop with a little more aroma, and adjust your water with calcium chloride over gypsum, they can give a lovely soft hop flavor, (if they arent very old. Then they taste of cheese.)

If you got alot, they are excellent in a cream ale, or similar.

My first recipe I came up with is my house ale now. I'm on version 6 right now because I keep making little changes with each time I brew it but I really like the way Saaz plays its role in this beer. I use 2 row, munich and a little c-10. I agree with giraffe that you need to bump that 15 min addition up, they do have a soft flavor. I just brewed about 2 weeks ago and I went with 1 oz 40 min, 2 oz at flameout and then I'll dryhop with either 1 or 2 oz (those are no-chill adjustments).

I'm in London this weekend so I don't have my notes. I adjusted a PA recipe from SUABP and the grist was 80% pale malt and 20% flaked maize to 1.055. Addition of EKG at 60m, Saaz at 20m up to about 50 IBU. Dry hopped with a blend of Saaz and EKG for about 2-3oz. Made a great summer beer and we drunk the five gallons in two BBQs last summer.

The Saaz was spicy but it also had a very parfumey / floral aroma in the dry hop. A bit like posh French hand soap or something similar.

Thanks for the input guys. I tweaked my recipe quite a bit. Going to go with two ounces at 60 mins, and one ounce at 15 and 5 mins. Also adjusting my water. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Back