Pale Oat Beer Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duridsr4fite

Reaction score
SO, I am trying to re-create a beer I love at my local brewery (called Oat Soda), and am just going to guess on ingredients. Also, I have never done all grain before, so i am prepared to screw it up. That being said, can you critique/give suggestions on the recipe? Specifically, how long should I cook the oats to gelatinize properly, and will I need any special rests to get conversion with an oat heavy mash? Also, my weights are based on 2 gl. to mash, and 3 gl to sparge. Are my water amounts off? 6 gallon stock pot big enough to mash?

6 lbs. 2-row English Pale
2 lbs. Oats
1/4 oz Cascade @ 30 minutes boil
White Labs Belgian Abbey IV (Platinum Series)

well it looks like a simple recipe thats very light. you dont need to rest your oats, rolled oats readily convert and dont need to be rested. you have 8 lbs of grain, so 8x1.5=12/4=3 gallons of mash water. (1.5 quarts per lbs of grain and 4 quarts per gallon) if youre doing a 5 gallon batch, thats 5.5 gallons due to trub loss, and 1 gallon lost in boil so you need 6.5 gallons to boil. anticipate losing .5 gallons in your equipment and .1 gallons per lbs of grain. so .8 gallons lost in the mash. now you have 2.2 gallons of liquor from your tun. so you need 4.3 gallons of sparge water to make up your grain loss. now to account for equpiment loss add .5 gallons. your total sparge water should be 4.8 gallons. so 3 gallons of mash water and 4.8 gallons of sparge water. this will get you right at 6.5 gallons for the boil, which will give you 5.5 gallons in the fermenter. after fermentation, you will lose .5 gallons in the trub. so now you actually have 5 gallons. 6 gallon pot is not big enough for either the tun or the boil. and by the way, your hops are way too low. i hope that brew has a very low ibu rating because .25 oz at 30 min will only give you about maybe 10ibu. id check it to recipator and see.

8 lbs x 1.25 qt/lb = 2.5 gallons water

6 gallon stock pot is fine for the mash. How are you mashing?

If you have a 4 gallon pot, you could use that for the mash and boil in the 6 gallon using my stovetop method, but you'll have to cut down on the sparge water a bit and top off at the end.

Figure a gallon loss from the grains, you could go with 3 gallons of water for the sparge.

Are you using raw oats? If so, you will need to do a cereal mash, which is basically just boiling. Here's a link:

Cereal Mashing

hes using rolled oats like quaker oats, 1.25 qts/lb is too thick, 6 gallon pot might barely hold 8 lbs of grain and 3 gallons of water. i use a 10 gallon cooler to mash and that would fill it halfway up. 3 gallons of sparge water would require a lot of topping off. is this an allgrain or a partial mash?

Where does it say he is using rolled oats?

Your calculations are off. 2.5 gallons of water + 8 lbs of grain will not fill a 6 gallon pot. It will just fill a 4 gallon pot. 3 gallons + 8 lbs won't fill it, either.

By the way ½ x 10 = 5 gallons = half of your 10 gallon cooler.

It's an all-grain. See: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-stovetop-all-grain-brewing-pics-90132/

Sure...it will be a light beer, but good.

Just saw the hops...what alpha acid are those hops? You won't get much bittering from 1/4 ounce of anything at 30 minutes. Why not a 60 minute boil and add some hops later for flavor/aroma?

i guess i made up the rolled oats part, just assumed. and as far as .5x10=5, i got math down. volume of grain per pound differs from volume of water, its greater considering fluid dynamics do not apply to solids. thnx for the observation, ive done this for awhile. your recipe looks good except for maybe the hops. it will be light, but good. if you want a little maltier brew, you might up your base grain by 1-1.5 lbs. if youre using rolled oats, no special procedure is necessary. if youre using raw oats, then a 30 minute boil will suffice. i think you should up the hops to maybe .5oz @ 60 min for light hoppiness, or 1oz @ 60 or 45 for bitter hoppiness.

Roger that, on the hops. Do i need anything besides the normal protein rest for oats? It doesn;t sound like I do...

well if youre using rolled oats, like quaker oats, you dont need to rest them with that much base malt. if youre using raw oats, boil for 30 minutes, then add to your grist and rest at 122 for 30 mins. other than that, just a normal mash. you should be good.

Thanks for all the help. One more clarification question. The method I am using says get strike water to about 160, dough in, and rest at 154. So instead, I should get strike water to 130-ish, dough in, and rest at 122 for 30 minutes. Bring temp up and rest at 154-5 for 60 minutes, then sparge?

Once again, thank you!!!

That will work. I would stay closer to 152-154°F, tho. Stir well while heating and turn the heat off when it gets to 152°F. It will raise a degree or so after you shut off the heat.

One more clarification:

Can I Mash It?

With a 1.25qt/lb ratio and 8 lbs of grain (2.5 gallons of water), your total mash volume will be approximately 3.14 gallons. A 4 or 5 gallon pot would be perfect for your mash, if you have one.

EDIT: That link will help you with calculating the temp when you mash-in, as well.

Back