Pale ale with just victory malt, no crystal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theamplifier

Reaction score
Random question but: Is there a commercial PA that's just pale malt with about 5% victory, single hopped with hallertauer and low-ish gravity? If not, how does that sound for a recipe?

I wrote that down a while ago and can't remember if I was halfway through designing a beer or it was an attempt at a clone...

I don't know if there is a commercial example but I tried to make a PA with pale malt and victory to about 10% it was missing that PA character that I love from light Munich. It was moderately hopped with cascade and sterling to about 30 IBUs. Came out well but as mentioned I was missing that Munich.

It depends what you're going for, but it could be quite nice. Not all that different from a single malt beer made from a slightly darker than average base malt. Maris Otter for example. At 5%, and depending on how you decide to hop it, you might pick up little extra bready note, but I don't think it'd be overly pronounced.

Sounds good to me. I never use crystal in PAs or IPAs. Maybe if it’s a very low gravity beer, just to provide a little more malt backbone.

The grain bill would be fine. It would take an awful lot of Hallertauer to get the IBU's up enough for an IPA. You might want to bitter with something like Magnum (basically high alpha Hallertauer) to prevent too much vegetal matter in the boil kettle.

Back