Pale Ale Weizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brentk14

Reaction score
This might be a stupid question, and feel free to call me out on it. Would it be possible to make a unfiltered wheat beer that is darker in color and hoppy like a good pale ale like SNPA? I was drinking some pyramid amber wiezen the other day and was really hoping that it would have that unfilted look that a good hef has. What do you guys think, have I completely lost it?

not a stupid question at all.

i've made some hoppier clear american hefeweizens that were fantastic. I've made quite a few dunkelweizens (which are my favorite wheats.)

wheat beers are best very simple...let the yeast do the work.

i'd use about 60% wheat, 40% munich and about 6 oz of chocolate in a 5 gallon batch for a dunkelweizen. Hops are generally only about 0.75 oz of tettnanger or hallertau, but you could up that to 1.25 oz and add 0.5 oz of saaz for finishing if you'd like. i've had great success with saaz as a finishing (aroma and/or flavor) hop in my wheat beers

Back