Pale ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBMbrewer

Reaction score
I'm looking for the combination of Munich and honey malt in small amounts for a nice sweet maltiness. Some caramel color and flavor from some crystal 40. A little bit of head retention and that almost-but-not-quite toasted quality from some torrified wheat. All with a 2-row base. I'm just not sure on exactly the right proportions of each.
Here's a rough mock up:

9 lb's - u.s. 2 row
8oz - Munich
8oz - Crystal 40
8oz - Torrified Wheat
6 oz - Honey Malt

Any thoughts?

I'd try a lb of munich, 4 oz of honey malt and the other proportions the same. It will be on the malty-sweet side.

I'm looking for the combination of Munich and honey malt in small amounts for a nice sweet maltiness. Some caramel color and flavor from some crystal 40. A little bit of head retention and that almost-but-not-quite toasted quality from some torrified wheat. All with a 2-row base. I'm just not sure on exactly the right proportions of each.
Here's a rough mock up:

9 lb's - u.s. 2 row
8oz - Munich
8oz - Crystal 40
8oz - Torrified Wheat
6 oz - Honey Malt

Any thoughts?

I'd recommend you add some hops, otherwise it's going to be awful sweet.:D

Thanks guys. I'll go with your recomendation Strambo.
And yes Brewit2it there will be hops ;)

Id drop half the crystal 40 or all of it.Ive used small amounts of crystal with honeymalt,but I like the honeymalt to shine more because I love it and has made me better beers.Looks like you have a pretty good gravity for a 5 gal batch. Also depends on your yeast and how attenuative it is, I find once you up the gravity that you want better attenuating yeast so it finishes where you want it to also reducing the need for sweetness depending on the style of beer too i guess. Guess it depends on how much hops/ibus too. Your not really to far off,and its also a matter of preferance so brewing it as is- you could love it. Ive brewed more than the recommended amount of crystal malts and they must have had more fermentability than as sometimes recoginzed.Because I still had low finishes with not terrible amounts of sweetness or a cloying sweetness . I have had some fairly sweet ones but nothing cloying with the exception of an extract barleywine or high gravity beer.

Back