Pale Ale Recipe Inputs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroovePuppy

Reaction score
Planning on trying out the following this weekend based on bits and bobs of other APAs I see around. Can't quite decide on Amarillo or Centennial. Thoughts?

Code:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal      
Boil Size: 6.30 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 13.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
7 lbs         Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)            Grain        58.33 %       
3 lbs         Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)                     Grain        25.00 %       
1 lbs 8.0 oz  Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)     Grain        12.50 %       
8.0 oz        Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)              Grain        4.17 %        
0.50 oz       Amarillo Gold [8.50 %]  (60 min) (First WoHops         14.4 IBU      
0.50 oz       Amarillo Gold [8.50 %]  (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops          -            
0.50 oz       Amarillo Gold [8.50 %]  (30 min)          Hops         10.1 IBU      
0.25 oz       Amarillo Gold [8.50 %]  (15 min)          Hops         3.3 IBU       
0.25 oz       Amarillo Gold [8.50 %]  (5 min)           Hops         1.3 IBU       
1 Pkgs        Nottingham (Danstar #-)                   Yeast-Ale                  

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 12.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
60 min        Mash In            Add 20.00 qt of water at 163.0 F    154.0 F

That seems low on the bittering end. I'd switch the 30 minute addition to 60, along with the FWH (which will add lots of flavor.) You're going to have a nice malt backbone with that munich, be sure to balance with some bitterness.

I agree on the hops with Death. This will be a pretty darn malty pale ale. I'd move towards the top end of the IBU scale for the style personally.

Either Centennial or Amarillo will work nicely with this recipe. My personal favorite is Centennial for a little more spice action to go along with the citrus, but Amarillo is nice too.

This is going to be an excellent beer by the way.

That's an awful lot of Crystal malts. People always forget that CaraPils is a crystal malt, too. That puts you at almost 17% Crystal malt in the grist, which will teeter on the brink of cloying (IMO).

Bob

That's an awful lot of Crystal malts. People always forget that CaraPils is a crystal malt, too. That puts you at almost 17% Crystal malt in the grist, which will teeter on the brink of cloying (IMO).

Bob

Looking again, I agree with the crystal being a bit much. I'd cut it to a pound of C-60. Could get away with less even. I put two pounds in a recipe one time and it was definitely too much.

I've never given CaraPils a second thought when adding it for body, etc. Does it really affect flavor at all? I've never noticed it, but it could be I just wasn't expecting to notice it, so I didn't.

Doesn't impact flavor, but it does have the same sort of impact for mouthfeel and body as other Crystals. In combination with other Crystal malts, it can be the thing that throws a recipe over the top. Far too many brewers just add it as a rule; that's not good brewing practice, IMO.

Bob

Doesn't impact flavor, but it does have the same sort of impact for mouthfeel and body as other Crystals. In combination with other Crystal malts, it can be the thing that throws a recipe over the top. Far too many brewers just add it as a rule; that's not good brewing practice, IMO.

Bob

Ah, that makes sense.

Good inputs all. I'll pop the IBU up a little although I find Sierra Nevada too bitter for my palate as a Pale. EdWorts Haus was dead nuts on though.

The CaraPils was added to try and get a bit of head going. I'll take a half pound out of the 60L. Maybe it'll be an amber I end up with. I just wanted to try and play with something starting as an AP but a little more malt and more aroma while not too bitter.

How about this. Switched to Centennial and moved the 30min addition to 60min. These changes give an IBU of 37.7 and a bitterness ratio of 0.638. Also dropped the 60L. If it's an Amber let me know and I'll change the name. :D

Code:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal      
Boil Size: 6.30 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 11.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 37.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
7 lbs 8.0 oz  Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)            Grain        62.50 %       
3 lbs         Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)                     Grain        25.00 %       
1 lbs         Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)     Grain        8.33 %        
8.0 oz        Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)              Grain        4.17 %        
0.50 oz       Centennial [10.00 %]  (60 min) (First WortHops         17.0 IBU      
0.50 oz       Centennial [10.00 %]  (Dry Hop 14 days)   Hops          -            
0.50 oz       Centennial [10.00 %]  (60 min)            Hops         15.4 IBU      
0.25 oz       Centennial [10.00 %]  (15 min)            Hops         3.8 IBU       
0.25 oz       Centennial [10.00 %]  (5 min)             Hops         1.5 IBU       
1 Pkgs        Nottingham (Danstar #-)                   Yeast-Ale                  

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 12.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
60 min        Mash In            Add 20.00 qt of water at 163.0 F    154.0 F

The final version of this is now ready to drink and it's awesome. I added it to my recipe list. It definitely turned out maltier than most APAs but it's not an Amber IMO. I pushed the IBU up a little when I realized the Centennial from my LHBS was lower than BeerSmiths default and ditched the dry-hopping.

The maltiness is nicely balanced by the IBU and the citrus. Call it what you want, it's delicious. Thanks again for the inputs.

Back