Pale ale or ipa using citra

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsyoung

Reaction score
Anyone have a really good extract APA or IPA recipe using citra, simcoe, and/or Amarillo. I have plenty of simcoe but only a couple of ounces of the other two. I really want to use the citra since I have never brewed with it so I want to use it in combo with one or both of the other two. Ideas?

I brewed an IPA with Bell's Two Hearted Ale grain bill, using citra for boiling and simcoe for late addition and dry hop. It was something I would brew again. I originally brewed the clone for 2HA but did not care for the single hop version using centennial exclusively. I will continue to use this malt base and experiment with single and double hop combinations. Let me know if you'd like specifics.

I'm actually about to brew the 2 hearted clone this week. How did the simcoe/ citra version turn out?

I have definitely developed my palate but I'm still working on my flavor profile descriptions. I know what I like and I know I like this beer and hop combo. I have been shooting for a 'go to' IPA and this seems to work for me. I have a follow up in my seconday now with the same grain bill but I went with chinook/columbus boiling hops, simcoe/cascade late and zero additions and 1oz simcoe/.5oz cascade dry hop. The sample was fairly bitter compared to the citra/simcoe version. I should stick with the keeping it simple mantra.

I do have cascade as well but since I have not brewed with citra I'm really wanting to use it. Maybe I'll attempt to come up with something using the 2 hearted grain bill. Thanks

Back