Pale Ale or Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdaught

Reaction score
Anybody got some advice on whether my beer should be labeled a pale ale or an amber ale? It is at the darkest limits of the pale ale category and the lightest limits of the amber ale category. I know these two styles can overlap, I'm just trying to decide which category to place them in for competition. It is light bodied and finishes light as well. With plenty of hop character and not much on the malty side. Just want to make sure I am placing it in the right group for the best chance of doing well. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

image-3185100209.jpg

That's what I'm leaning toward. I'm just not used to seeing a darker pale ale. Guess it has me second guessing. Thanks for the reply.

That's what I'm leaning toward. I'm just not used to seeing a darker pale ale. Guess it has me second guessing. Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I've an "amber" that looks too light, but the malt/hop balance says otherwise.

For me pale is hops with some malt and amber is malt with some hops.

That's true. Haven't thought of that. I've got plenty so I might as well. Thanks

Nothing wrong with entering it in both categories, if you don't mind sending in twice as many...

That's what I was going to say as well. Also might help answer the question of which category it really is (at least in these judges' eyes).

Well I entered it in both categories and scored about the same in each. Mid 30's out of 50 points. (very good range). The guys judging it in the American Pale Ale category said not enough hop presence and a little too much maltiness but a great beer to drink. The guys judging it in the American Amber Ale category said a little too hoppy and not enough malt complexity but a great beer to drink. Thought that was pretty funny. Looks like I brewed the perfect American Pale/Amber Ale hybrid. Guess I can adjust the recipe each way and have a beer appropriate for each category plus a great hybrid.

Back