Pale Ale Malt for Irish Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

ike8228

Reaction score
I am planning to make an Irish stout. Recipes commonly call for British Pale which is around 3.5-4.5L. I have Viking Pale Ale that is 2.8-3.2L. I also plan to use Black Roasted Barley and Flaked Barely for the style. Would the difference in L between the two be noticeable enough to throw off the style? Would save me $22 in more malt if it wouldn’t be noticed. I would imagine the Black Roast would cover up some of that ‘biscuity’ malt difference? Maybe not so much for a lighter ale, but darker not so much. (I have almost 100lbs between my Pale and Pilsner malt).

gunhaus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It will work fine. I have over time used Maris Otter, Golden Promise, Irish Stout Malt, American 2-row from several sources, American Pilsner, And Pale brewers Malt without issue in basic and not so basic stouts. It is OK to color outside the lines a bit! Your taste buds will thank you and the style police will survive.

gunhaus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning to make an Irish stout. Recipes commonly call for British Pale which is around 3.5-4.5L. I have Viking Pale Ale that is 2.8-3.2L. I also plan to use Black Roasted Barley and Flaked Barely for the style. Would the difference in L between the two be noticeable enough to throw off the style? Would save me $22 in more malt if it wouldn’t be noticed. I would imagine the Black Roast would cover up some of that ‘biscuity’ malt difference? Maybe not so much for a lighter ale, but darker not so much. (I have almost 100lbs between my Pale and Pilsner malt).
Irish stout malt for reference runs 1.5 - 2 L and makes petty stout like stout.