pale ale isn't

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gecko45

Reaction score
I tried brewing a batch of Edwort's Haus Pale Ale using the extract+steeping version. I shortened the boil time very slightly to match the AA% I had in my hops, but otherwise followed everything else. Did a full 5.5 gallon boil, cooled to ~75F, pitched 1 packet nottingham, and left it in a minifridge with a temperature controller set to 58F for 5 weeks. I then cold crashed it, (accidentally letting it freeze briefly), but then transferred to a keg and force carbed.

The beer is quite good, except it doesn't seem similar to a pale ale at all, but more like a belgian ale, with mildly spicy hints of phenol and bananas, and maybe some slight sweetness. While I rather like it, I don't understand what could cause it to turn out this way, as it was temp-controlled the entire time. Was it underoxygenated and stressed the yeast? Could it be a very slow contamination? The final gravity was in the 1.010-15 range, so underattenuation doesn't seem likely.

I think it's the pitching at 75 degrees. Nottingham is notoriously estery at above 70 degrees, and it probably took a long time to cool down to the low 60s. The first 24-48 hours are crucial, and I would bet that the notty took off and started quickly, getting active before the wort got below 70 degrees. I always pitch at fermentation temperatures, to avoid this.

Underoxygenation shouldn't be the problem, as dry yeasts have their glycogen reserves built up before drying and 1 packet should be enough that they shouldn't need to replicate much.
Did it take off quickly after you pitched, or was there a long lag? If there was a lag, maybe you had a bad batch of Notty (they had problems recently - I got a bad packet myself that took forever to ferment a cider that should have been quick and easy). If so, you might have had some wild yeast or contaminant from a previous batch take over. You didn't perchance brew a hefeweizen or belgian before this one?

More oxygen would have given the batch more time to cool, but given the initial cell count for Nottingham, It probably wouldn't have made much difference.

Back