Pale Ale Hopping.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuzco_Brew

Reaction score
Hi All, I am brewing a Pale Ale tomorrow, I've pretty much decided on the malt bill, but would like some feedback on the hop schedule I have selected. I am not looking for an agressive over the top hoppy beer, just a nice session ale.

Regarding the pilsen malt, I know that's not to style, but it's what I have got. Hop wise I have more of the Galaxy, Cascade and Summit that I can use if needed.

This is what I have so far, this is for a 22L batch (sorry about the metric system).

I am not sure weather to leave the Galaxy in or take it out and just use Cascade for the late hops. I have no 60 minute additions, but instead have gone for using all hops in the last 20mins and increasing the amount to compensate.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 6.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 30.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 71.00 %

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name
4.47 kg Pilsner
0.50 kg Munich Malt
0.21 kg Crystal Malt - 20L
0.21 kg Crystal Malt - 40L

25.00 g Summit [15.80 %] - 20.0 min - 25.3 IBUs
7.00 g Cascade [5.60 %] - 10.0 min - 1.5 IBUs
7.00 g Galaxy [12.40 %] - 10.0 min - 3.3 IBUs
14.00 g Cascade [5.60 %] - 0.0 min - 0.0 IBUs

1.0 pkg Safale US-05

Thanks
Zac

No bittering hops? it is going to be all aroma, possible very unbalanced. I would throw half of your summit hops at the beginning of the boil

No bittering hops based on a technique I read in a BYO article by Gordon Strong. Basic idea is to use all hops in the last 20 mins and compensate with amounts to achive the IBUs you want.

After doing some research that sounds pretty good, nice hop aroma and flavor but easy drinking. Personally I would start additions at 30 minutes

No bittering hops based on a technique I read in a BYO article by Gordon Strong. Basic idea is to use all hops in the last 20 mins and compensate with amounts to achive the IBUs you want.

is that article available online?

Gordon also talks about it in his book brewing better beer. Jamil also has no boil hops in his evil twin for heretic brewing. Just a ton of hops at flameout. Sounds like a good idea to me.

is that article available online?

I haven't seen it online, I read it a while back in BYO and started trying it, then just read it again in Gordon's book.

I want to keep the profile fairly simple so I am thinking about taking the Galaxy out. Might try them in a different beer on their own as I haven't used them before.

I read about that in brewing better beer. Thinking outside the box- I like it!

I find it more difficult to get predictable bitterness levels with lots of late additions. Consistency in the process from batch to batch is more important than when you're using a standard hopping schedule, particularly your chilling process. Bringing the temp down even a few minutes more slowly will result in a noticeable difference in bitterness.

Anyway, you may find that it's not as simple as relying on the numbers your software is giving you.

looks great. you might want to bump up the IBUs a lil more tho since the late add ones are softer.

I would say its a little light on the hops for a hopburst recipe but besides that looks good. Galaxy is a great hop and I think it would go well with cascade.

I like the recipe, except for possibly one thing. I've only used summit at 60 minutes so this isn't personal experience, but I've heard that summit late in the boil can be quite "oniony". If you've used it before at 20 minutes with good results, then just ignore me!

I love hop bursting, I usually do a 20,15,10,5,0 then dry hop schedule, the idea of hop bursting is to give loads of flavor and aroma with less bitterness. your IBU's look about right for a pale ale.I never used galaxy before so can't give a knowledgeable opinion there. your grain schedule looks real good to me.

This is my first time using Summit, I heard about the onion flavor can any one who has used it as a 20 min addition comment further on this?

I thought I should report back on this.

It's been in the keg a few weeks and I tried it last night. It's not too bad, the wife gives it the thumbs up, but I think it is missing something. It's not as bitter as I think it should be. I brew at 3400 metres above sea level, so wort boils at around 88 degrees C (sorry for the metric). This means I don't get the full hop utilization that I would if I were at sea level. Previous Pale Ales I've brewed were a lot more bitter, almost too much however I think this was due to other factors such as my water profile and pH levels. This is the first pale ale I have made using RO water, so I think that played a part.

I don't get any garlic or onion flavor from the Summit, it did have a massive passion-fruit smell to it when I kegged it, that has faded out now. I am thinking of moving the summit back to a 40 or 60 min addition but keeping it at the same amount to try and boost the bitterness.

I am also toying with the idea of swapping the crystal 40 for crystal 60, just to give it a touch more colour.

I would also like to see if finish a bit drier, I mashed at 152F, but I think it ran high and I need to re-calibrate my thermometer. Next time around I will try and keep it under 152.

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back