Pale Ale ferment and dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikequigs

Reaction score
So thanks for answering my questions yesterday. Here is how I see it in regards to the process according to your suggestions and other insight garnered (the recipe besides the ingredients might as well be chucked). So fermentation is actively taking place in my primary. I'm gonna leave it in there for 14 days, dry hop in a hop bag for 5-7 days directly into the primary and then bottle condition for a week or 2. Sound like a good plan of attack? I will be thankful for any thoughts or suggestions. I am in a bucket since the guy at the HBS sold me a 5 gallon glass carboy which I'm switching out tomorrow for 6-6.5 gallon. Will dry hopping present any contamination problems if I sanitize the hop bag,, foil bag of hops, and lid before tossing? Thanks again and cheers.

As long as you sanitize the hop bag and anything else that'll touch the beer (minus the hops themselves), you'll be good.

I like the 5-7 day dry hop plan...but leave the brew in bottles for longer than a week or 2. Minimum 3 weeks, but try to resist opening them for another 1-2 weeks after that...you'll appreciate the improved flavor the longer you wait. 1-2 weeks just isn't long enough for carbonation and good flavor maturation.

Plan on drinking a few and feel free to test a few before 3 weeks, but you will find your last beers you save after a month or two or more maybe the best tasting ones. brew more inbetween.

i just toss my hops right in primary with no hop bag after fermentation is over. After 1 or 2 weeks i transfer to the Keg. I will put a paint stainer bag over my auto siphon. I will sanitize the paint stainer and the rudder band. I find i get a better flavor with the hops get floating around without a bag, plus its just less work.

Back