Painting Question-vote Please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHOULD I?

• Paint the grout

• It looks cool without the grout painted, leave it and get a home brew.

Results are only viewable after voting.

VermVerm

Reaction score
I am at home today and I have to make the call while my wife is at work on whether to paint the grout or leave it like it is. This room is my daughters(age2) playroom. Please vote.

100_5351.jpg

100_53501.jpg

Doesn't look very "playroom"-ey as-is, but painting the grout is a b*tch of a job. Is there going to be anything on the walls? Personally, I'd paint the whole thing something warmer and less institutional-looking.

the_bird said:
Doesn't look very "playroom"-ey as-is, but painting the grout is a b*tch of a job. Is there going to be anything on the walls? Personally, I'd paint the whole thing something warmer and less institutional-looking.

The other 3 walls are going to be pumpkin. my wife chose the color for the brick wall. It looks less institutional in person. Good advice though!

Sorry, but I say paint the grout. Now if it was for a teenage boy, say one who's just learning to appreciate Pink Floyd, I would say leave it.

Well, with that said about the other walls, I'd paint the grout. The brick gives a nice texture, but I think it's a bit too much when the grout is such a contrast. Personally, I'd rather just see the texture of the brick rather than the outline of each one. Not entirely sure what I'm saying, but yeah, I'd paint the grout.

So, let's give him advice for the best way to paint the grout. When I did a similar job, I attacked it with an old brush that I beat the hell out of. Probably better to get a roller with the thickest nap (that the right term?) you can find, right?

ma2brew said:
Sorry, but I say paint the grout. Now if it was for a teenage boy, say one who's just learning to appreciate Pink Floyd, I would say leave it.

That makes me think that a good brewery name would be

Another brick in the wall brewery

or

Brick Wall Brewery

or

Painted Brick Brewery

Feel free to steal them as I have mine already

the_bird said:
So, let's give him advice for the best way to paint the grout. When I did a similar job, I attacked it with an old brush that I beat the hell out of. Probably better to get a roller with the thickest nap (that the right term?) you can find, right?

I am using a 3/4 nap. it doesn't go to the grout

I don't think I'd paint the grout or the brick. I like the way brick looks and even added some brick veneer walls during my basement remodel.

Remember, it won't be a playroom forever - think of what it might be after that and don't do something to a wall that looks sort of cool just for the short term. Personally, I think I'd consider ways to use what's there as part of the overall theme of the room.

You could add various art works to the wall, perhaps a big blackboard or some posters.

I have painted a brick fireplace - similiar looking bricks. There is a special masonry primer you need to seal it, then use typical latex over that. I used a roller with a big nap, 1" I think.

Go to a paint store(not HD) and they'll hook you up.

rdwj said:
I don't think I'd paint the grout or the brick. I like the way brick looks and even added some brick veneer walls during my basement remodel.

Remember, it won't be a playroom forever - think of what it might be after that and don't do something to a wall that looks sort of cool just for the short term. Personally, I think I'd consider ways to use what's there as part of the overall theme of the room.

You could add various art works to the wall, perhaps a big blackboard or some posters.

I just painted the brick this morning. The brick wall is an 60's pink/orange and it is really dated. I fought my wife for 5 years and finally gave in. What you see in the picture is my handy work from this morning.

so you painted each individual brick, without getting any on the grout? you're a real michaelangelo! i'da rolled the snot out of that wall and called it a day...:rockin:

uglygoat said:
so you painted each individual brick, without getting any on the grout? you're a real michaelangelo! i'da rolled the snot out of that wall and called it a day...:rockin:

Dude I am not that good, the roller just made it look like I hand painted each one. The roller doesn't go into the cracks(i said crack). But I will take the michaelangelo monicor.

Back