Paintball tanks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoplobster

Reaction score
I'm looking into kegging and I have a paintball tank and it got me thinking a bit. If the tank is still in good condition, could it be used (or converted for use) in a kegging setup? This would be a great money saver if I could use it for my first setup.

Here's a quick cellphone picture.

co2.jpg

Thoughts?

I don't have too much experience with this, but I do believe that they could technically be used. Often they are very small though, compared at least to what is required for force carbonating. I would think a paint ball tank might might a good serving tank, especially for a traveling setup. Someone with more knowledge on this please step in and potentially correct my misinformation.

There are adapters that can be purchased to attach a paintball tank to a standard regulator.

Check this thread:https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=23793

I think morebeer has an adapter, but I don't feel like searching now. This topic comes up frequently and I think it is a viable option-search a bit and you'll find some useful information.

Hope that helps. :mug:

David makes a good point.

Plus the regulator for paint ball tanks are kind of pricey in comparison to standard regulators. And the gas is going to cost more as well unless you fill it yourself from your own tank(s). Add in the frequent trips to the hardware or sporting goods store and any savings from owning a tank will quickly disappear.

That being said they make excellent portable gas containers but so do 2.5 and 5 lb. aluminum tanks and you don't have to buy a specialized regulator.

I am not trying to discourage you but when I looked into doing the same thing the $'s just didn't add up as a good value for my money.

anyway here's a link for a regulator:

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/BREWER_S_EDGE_PAINTBALL_TANK__P1791C148.cfm

I actually use one for the keg, it works pretty good. You need the valve they use at the fill station to depress the pin in the tank, and hook that to a standard regulator via a reducer fitting. Then everything else is the same as a regular keg. Keep in mind though, keep the C02 tank upright. If it lays on it's side you will introduce the liquid C02 into your regulator. Cost wise for me, it's a no-brainer. To get a 10 pound tank here costs about 65.00 and filled is around 20.00. The high cost for things up here led to this, where you all live I'm sure the cost is lower. So yeah, it's been done, and it works.

Thanks for the replies. It looks like it'd be a better idea to just get a 5lb tank, but that regulator from morebeer.com looks like an interesting solution...

Thanks!

Back