paintball CO2 tanks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeeFour

Reaction score
I have my first 5 gallon batch about to go into the secondary. After taking the time to bottle just a 1 gallon batch I would much prefer to keg rather than bottle a whole 5 gallons. I'd also like to save as much money as possible. I have a few 20oz CO2 tanks for paintball sitting around, has anyone ever used those to pressurize a corny keg/does anyone know if the threading is the same for the regulators that go on the keg?

Keg Connection also has a regulator that goes directly onto the 20oz paintball CO2 tanks. I got one in my last order. IMO, a better option since it won't have the regulator sticking straight up on top of the tank. I would still make sure it's in a place where it won't tip over.

I'm thinking about getting a second 20oz CO2 bottle today, as well as getting both of them filled. I have one 5#, one 2.5# here (on top of the single 20oz), one 2.5# on order (Keg Connection again) and just ordered one of the 20# aluminum tanks posted in the classified section (of HBT)... I plan to use the 20# once it's filled (and ensure the hydro date is good). The 5# will be the primary backup tank. The 2.5# and 20oz bottles will be additional backup tanks as well as for when I take a keg to a gathering/party. It might seem like a lot, but I want to be sure that I'll be able to keep kegs on gas while filling tanks.

You can also go with the adapters if you want to go cheaper. If you have it strapped to a keg, it won't be an issue. If you have it outside the fridge, it could be a problem (getting knocked over)...

I'm with Golddiggie. I have a 5# tank for the kegerator and 2 20 oz paintball tanks for backup and for the rolling Ice Cube kegerator. They also work great for forcecarbing. I ran out of co2 once or twice when I first started brewing, and of course both times was over a weekend when the welding supply store was closed. Dick's Sporting Goods is 10 minutes away and open 7 days a week! Plus, the price per ounce where I live is cheaper at Dick's than it is at the welding supply house. I only had 1 20 oz tank for a while until I ran out of that at a pool party, I went out the next day and bought a second tank. Now, whenever I take the rolling kegerator with me I take both 20 oz tanks with, I haven't run out of gas when I needed it since.

Just got the first one I purchased filled up ($5) and picked up another one, filled for $30... :ban: Now I have two 20oz CO2 tanks, filled... $25 for an empty tank isn't that bad. Considering how some places are getting charged more (from suppliers) and have to increase their cost. So if you see one available for under $30, grab as many as you think you'll need. Then get one more. ;)

I'll be picking up a drill bit in the next day, or so, in order to put a hole through my fridge's side wall to run the gas line into it. Then I'll just need to mount the manifold (inside the fridge) in order to use it for more than one keg. I need to get that done before I bring another keg home (could be Wednesday). I'm looking forward to having my brew on tap.

Latest posts

Back