Paint Strainer bag for dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daphatgrant

Reaction score
Hey HBT, I'm a little curious about using paint strainer bags for dry hopping.

Here's what I've got going on.

I made my first beer a couple weeks ago and now that fermentation is done or almost done I'm ready to dry hop. I made a 10gal ipa which was split into 2 fermenters. My post boil was a little light so I have 5 gal in one fermenter and 3.5 in the other that I topped off with filtered water to 4.

Fermentation took a bit to get going but finally started after 4 days and bubbled right along for 2 weeks. Bubbling in the 4gal batch came to a stop on 6/5. I then dry hopped it using a 1 gallon paint strainer bag that I boiled for 5 minutes and then dipped in starsan.

Today I finally had time to take a gravity reading and give it a taste test and it has a pretty aweful plastic taste to it. Initially I thought it was chlorphenol but I did filter the water slowly through a carbon water filter and when I taste tested the 5gal batch that I haven't dry hopped yet I didn't detect any off flavors.

Here is what I used. I just boiled a 2nd bag to dry hop the 5gal batch and I'll be letting the water I used to boil the bag cool so I can see if the bag is the cause of the plastic taste. If the smell of the water is any indication of the taste it might be the bag :(.

Has anyone had anything similar happen using these? Maybe these are the wrong kind of bags?

Thanks for any help.

From my experience if it smells bad it will taste bad. They make hop bags from natural fibers for this reason. I used the bags on my first couple of batches now I just throw the hops in the beer straight from the package. All the flakes will settle to the bottom you really don't need the bags.

Back