Paint for stand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrostar

Reaction score
I am just about to start painting my stand and would like to know what you guys did to prepare for it? Did you use a high temp primer? did you heat the stand up with a torch to evaporate all the moisture in the metal? Most importantly, what type of paint did you use and has it held up? I am just concerned about the inside of the stand where flame will be the hottest. Thanks ahead of time.

The only thing I'd use is Exhaust paint from an automotive store. It comes in glossy finishes which is superior to the common BBQ paint you'll find in home centers. I also had good luck putting a few coats of clear on (also exhaust grade). Don't use primer unless it's also rated for 2000F+. Low temp primer under high temp paint is useless, it just peels and takes everything with it.

Thanks Bobby. Thats what I was thinking of using was automotive paint that has Ceramic in it. They have many colors to choose from also. I'll be ordering a few more fittings from you and a couple sight glasses in the next week or so.

Thanks Bobby. Thats what I was thinking of using was automotive paint that has Ceramic in it. They have many colors to choose from also. I'll be ordering a few more fittings from you and a couple sight glasses in the next week or so.
I've used this and the high heat paint from autozone. on headers for racing 4 wheelers and had good results.. and they were glowing red hot sometimes... these are about 9 bucks a can at autozone

paint.jpg

That's the exact stuff I was looking at. I'm gonna order their colored stuff. Maybe orange?

I used header paint from an auto store for $8 a can. It went a lot further than I thought. No primer needed, two coats. Cured using the burners ans heating/movin a thick piece of steel.
I used that on the hot parts, cool parts I used primer and quality spray paint.
Looks great so far.

Also, make sure you sand the heck out of the metal. I used a wire brush on my angle grinder and made it looks like stainless. Took hours. After that I used some mineral spirits, followed by soap water to give it a good cleaning. Mild steel tube comes from the metal supply place completely coated with a real hard to remove oil. Get it as clean as possible, so paint will stick.

This was a good read for preperation: http://www.discoverlivesteam.com/magazine/64.html

Back