Pacman Yeast from Rogue - Man can it eat some sugars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atl300zx

Reaction score
I just had my first experiences with Rogue's Pacman yeast. I recently fermented an ESB with this, washed some of the yeast, and then dumped a Imperial Chocolate Oatmeal Stout on top of the rest of the cake.

The original gravity of the oatmeal stout was 1.081 and it finished it at 1.012 for an ABV of 9.1%. I really didnt think the Pacman yeast had it in it to ferment this brew down that low. The beer turned out a little more dry than expected, but still great.

Anyone else have similar experience with Rogue's Pacman yeast?

more importantly hows the bitter?
I'm thinking of trying my bitter with the Pacman as a variation from the usual

I was thinking of making a spiced pumpkin ale with pacman yeast. Was a little worried it would come out too dry. Maybe I'll split the batch and pitch pacman in half and WLP002 or Denny's favorite in the other half.

I was thinking of making a spiced pumpkin ale with pacman yeast. Was a little worried it would come out too dry. Maybe I'll split the batch and pitch pacman in half and WLP002 or Denny's favorite in the other half.

I was thinking of doing the same thing. After doing an IPA with Pacman and hitting around 83% attenuation, the dryness was a concern of mine as well.

But I kind of like a dry finish and maybe it will work for a pumpkin ale. I'm thinking spices up front with a malty/brown sugar mid-taste and then a dry finish. That doesn't sound so bad to me.

Back