Packing Peanuts!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlytimes

Reaction score
I have amassed so many packing peanuts over the past year it's not even funny. I started saving them thinking, oh if I ever want to ship something, I'll have free packing peanuts to use. I haven't shipped a single item since. I hate just throwing them out, so now I'm wondering if there is any practical use for them? Like shoving them up in my attic for free insulation? Is that a fire hazard? Wifey suggested putting them all in a HUGE cardboard box and letting our 2 year old go crazy in it, but at the end of the day, you still have a bunch of packing peanuts to do something with. Any ideas?

spray adhesive and the neighbors dog.

Needle and thread and make trailer-trash christmas garland. You've got a few months, you could probably make enough to cover the Rockefeller Xmas Tree...

Bag them up and trade them for something. Maybe someone you know is moving, and needs some.

Post on Craigslist. Come and get 'em...

B

Given the fact that you're asking this question, I'm going to assume you don't know how to make simple napalm.

Chalk this up as a simple "If you don't know, I'm certainly not going to tell you," sort of thing.

The UPS store I occasionaly use took a box of them off my hands. Just call them up to confirm that they will take them.

FedEx will sometimes take them as well. Especially, the locally owned franchise stores. Rid myself of some in the past that way.

Although the spray adhesive and neighbors dog sounds hilarious. :p

Uhhh are they flammable? If they burned I wouldn't put them in the attic but if you're using paper backed fiberglass insulation already I guess it couldn't get any worse than that if you put them up there.

no giving away the secret of poor mans napalm llazy llama
use em to make an insulating wrap for a carboy for those cold nights?

I don't know where you are located but you could plant some banana trees / tropicals and use them for insulation over next winter. At the first frost cut you banana trees down to about 3 feet and spray liberally with anti-fungus spray. Wrap in bubble wrap and build a squarish wire cage around it using chicken wire and stakes. Dump the peanuts inside the cage and wrap in plastic - use bungee cords (or whatever) to secure.

Come spring take everything off and you are good to go. Some of the peanuts will have melted but that is OK.

Back