OYL-052 and diacetyl

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

WiscBrewer

Reaction score
I'm thinking about using OYL-052 for an IPA, but have a concern. The Omega folks indicate this yeast "May produce some diacetyl". Has anyone run into this? Will lower fermentation temps (e.g. 65-66) prevent diacetyl? Do you ramp up to low 70's toward the end of fermentation? Thanks.

EtchyLives

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I used this for a 68° fermentation, and ramped up to 72° for a d-rest on a 1.055 NEIPA. Not a hint of diacetyl. I like this yeast for the fruity hop bomb style beers.

OP
W

WiscBrewer

Reaction score
I used this for a 68° fermentation, and ramped up to 72° for a d-rest on a 1.055 NEIPA. Not a hint of diacetyl. I like this yeast for the fruity hop bomb style beers.
Thanks Etchy

Azura

Banned
Reaction score
I've used it about 8x. Start at 66F. Hold for 4 days. Finish at 72-75F for 3 days, then chill. This schedule produces a noticeable peach ester without diacetyl. Over pitching reduces the peach. Not elevating the temperature in the second phase has resulted in under attenuation, but not significant diacetyl. This yeast should drop super clear with 10 days in the primary. No cold crash. No finings. Even with a big keg dry hop.