OYL 011 and acidity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Got a sour in the tank currently. It is my first time using the co-pitch method and it's going well! Just did a pH check this weekend and it's sitting at 3.3.

Usually, I use US-05 for fermenting kettle sours as I know it performs pretty well in the acidic environment of a sour. However, this time around, i wanted something less attenuative so I used OYL 011 British Ale V, which is Omega's version of WY1318.

So, after 1 week of fermenting, gravity is still sitting at 1.041 (OG of 1.080). I'm going to give it a few days and if I have to, I'll pitch some US05 to finish it out. Hopefully the US05 will take care of it.

My question: Anyone else used either OYL 011 or WY1318 in an acidic environment? Did it lag/stall on you as well?

I haven't used any English strains for sours, a but they are notorious for premature flocculation.. Standard procedure in that case is to warm it up and rouse the yeast.

Yes, I think that would help, and swirl the fermenter around if you can.

So, warming up and rousing yeast did not work. Beer is still sitting at the same gravity.

US-05 has always been a good yeast for me in sours.

Current Stats:
1.040 gravity
74*F
3.3 pH

I'm going to pitch some US 05 in. There's 17.5 gallons in the tank.

I was going to go 4 packs of US 05. Should I go 5 due to the "hostile" environment?

I would definitely rehydrate the yeast in water before pitching.

I'm not really sure about pitch rate in this circumstance. My guess is 4 packs is probably fine.

I was hoping someone that has used an English strain for a sour would reply. They shouldn't have an issue, but microbes can sometimes be surprising. I guess we'll see what happens with the American yeast.

Back