Oxygenation kit - in-line filter or no?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrickar

Reaction score
I got one of these for Christmas, and my concern is the purity of the oxygen in the red cylinders. Since those are not for medical use, could they have things in there like oils and such from the filling process - things I would not want going into my wort? I know there are small paper inline filters to be had for cheap - are they useful in these cases or should I not bother?

Just thinking out loud about there being tighter process controls for medical oxygen versus the industrial use stuff...

No. They are fine. I use the red cylinders and have never had an issue. Have brewed many award winning beers with O2 from the red cylinders. But if you can find a place that will sell you a large O2 tank that you can refill with medical grade . Why not. I just prefer not to have a large oxygen tank in my home since it's very flammable.

I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I kept my filter from my aeration kit and put it on the in-line of the oxygenation kit..

Back