Oxygenate secondary transfer with Brett?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpdjshaw

Reaction score
Hoping some of you out there can shed some light on how to add Brett to secondary. I didn't give it much thought before hand but once I started the process I wasn't sure the best way to go about it. Anyways, I brewed a Saison and split the batch and added Brett to one. I purged my carboy with CO2 and was careful not to aerate the wort like usual then added the Brett. Then I got to thinking that the yeast actually needs the O2. So should I have aerated just like for primary? It's been 3 days and I don't see any activity.

I'd be interested to hear opinions on this as well. Personally I would imagine not purposefully oxygenating it. You will get a little bit of oxygenation from normal open transferring techniques. By adding Brett to secondary, you are presumably looking for that distinctive character, and you should intensify it by giving it minimal O2, just as you would when making any other Belgian beer.

As far as not seeing any activity, you generally don't always see activity in secondary, especially in a beer like a saison that already is normally pretty dry. It will likely form a pellicle in a few weeks.

Don't aerate, just pitch the brett and wait. The occasional opening for tasting is plenty of o2. I have also used and oak dowel to help transfer o2. I insert it into a stopper and through the surface of the beer.

Back