Oxygen Tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick sekerak

Reaction score
Instead of the small red O2 tanks you can buy at the home depot, i was thinking of buying a bigger one. Found this one on craigslist for $25. Does anyone use them, if so how do you get them re-filled? Can a welding shop fill them just like they would fill you CO2 tanks? Are these worth buying or should i just stick with the small red tanks?

IMG_0493.PNG

That looks like it may be a medical O2 tank in which case I don't believe you can get it filled without a prescription. The valves on medical o2 tanks are very different than what you find on welding o2 tanks and I don't think they can be filled anywhere except a medical supplier. Don't take my word for it but you may want to look into it before buying.

Last edited:
Oh man, I'm looking for one of those too. $25 sounds like a great deal; whatever it costs you to fill it will pay for itself pretty quickly compared to those red disposable canisters.

I just went through the same thing, ended up pickup up a like new 20 cuft welding one. Went back and forth of a couple offers and we settled on $55
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-cf-weld...317878?hash=item4b6020ed76:g:R2YAAOSwvQdciV-H

The red disposable HD tanks are 1.1cuft for comparison, as i debated if should go with 20 or 40 cuft tank.

Also went with a low flow regulator. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZVO26C0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And an Anvil 0.5micron stone on a 24" wand. I alsways found the 16" wand that comes with the disposable tank regulators a bit short and i dangle it from the hose to try to get the stone near bottom and maximise oxygen bubble travel through wort.

The red disposable ones last for so long, that you’re really looking at something like 5-10 years to pay off your investment. Just a counter point if you find it difficult to source a place to fill a medical tank.

The red disposable ones last for so long, that you’re really looking at something like 5-10 years to pay off your investment. Just a counter point if you find it difficult to source a place to fill a medical tank.

Agreed. I’m on batch 15 with my first small red tank. Only paid $7.50 for it at Ace Hardware (get $5 off $20 coupons all the time so I bought two at $9.99/ea). Not worth the bulk and hassle to buy a big one, especially if you can’t fill it easily.

Damn. I must be doing something very wrong because my first one only lasted three 5 gal brews :-(

That looks like it may be a medical O2 tank in which case I don't believe you can get it filled without a prescription. The valves on medical o2 tanks are very different than what you find on welding o2 tanks and I don't think they can be filled anywhere except a medical supplier. Don't take my word for it but you may want to look into it before buying.

+1^^^
That is most definitely a medical O2 tank. I don't know anything about needing a prescription to have it refilled or exchanged but I wouldn't be surprised depending on where you do it. I am very familiar with those since I'm on a fire department and @Gravitysucks is correct about the valve and regulator. I do know that the welding supply shop in my area carries them but I don't know about their exchange policy (we just swap them out with the ambulance when we transfer patients). I'd definitely do some checking around before buying it. I'd also ask if the regulator and wrench are included... If not you'll need to buy them separately. Here are some pictures of the regulator and wrench and a closer view of what you're dealing with in regards to the valve assembly.

th.jpg

medo2.jpg

Back of valve (L) Front of valve (R)
$_1.jpg

I must be using too much or aerating for too long :(

Off-flavors can apparently occur from over-oxygenation just as they can with under-oxygenation, so I’ve kept to a practice of medium flow out of the regulator for about 45 seconds, swirling from the bottom of the wort. I think most people tend to run it at full blast and for a long time, which is pretty unnecessary, in my opinion. I actually even start a timer to make sure I’m not aerating for too long.

Agreed. I’m on batch 15 with my first small red tank. Only paid $7.50 for it at Ace Hardware (get $5 off $20 coupons all the time so I bought two at $9.99/ea). Not worth the bulk and hassle to buy a big one, especially if you can’t fill it easily.
This thread is old so I probably won’t get a reply - they sure don’t last long for me. I’m not sure if the regulator from my Homebrew shop is crappy and allows a slow leak but I just brewed yesterday for the first time in months and my red tank was done after 5 seconds. I previously used it for maybe 4 batches at a minute or so for each. Disappointing.

This thread is old so I probably won’t get a reply - they sure don’t last long for me. I’m not sure if the regulator from my Homebrew shop is crappy and allows a slow leak but I just brewed yesterday for the first time in months and my red tank was done after 5 seconds. I previously used it for maybe 4 batches at a minute or so for each. Disappointing.
I always take the regulator off when not in use, I've aerated ~18 batches so far and still on my first can. You really need a fine oxygen stone to oxygenate effectively without wasting gas.

Thank you. Yeah, I thought starting with my next tank, I’ll make it a point to remove the regulator after each use. I’m using a .5 micron stone.

Thank you. Yeah, I thought starting with my next tank, I’ll make it a point to remove the regulator after each use. I’m using a .5 micron stone.
.5 micron is what I use too, seems to be working well. When not in use I store the stone in a jar of properly diluted starsan, though for this use iodophor might be a better choice.

Back