Oxygen presence during slow fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GratefulBear

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently started 4 batches of cider (in corny kegs). It's half Whole Foods juice and half real cider with no preservatives other than the Vitamin C in the WF stuff. 2 kegs have champagne yeast, one has saison yeast, and the other has Mangrove Jack yeast. Each got yeast nutrient and 2 of the kegs got a custom herb and/or spice tea added to them. I wanted to do a slower ferment than normal so I turned the basement temp down to 65. After a couple days, there was occasional bubbling from the blowoff tubes. I expected it to pick up but it really hasn't. They've been fermenting for 6 days and I only hear one bubble (from all the kegs combined) every few minutes. I checked for leaks at posts/lid and that doesn't seem to be the issue. I measured the temp at the floor and it says 63. I'm probably going to raise the temp to get things moving a little faster. I'm primarily concerned with the oxygenated cider (from pouring into the corny's) going bad because the yeast aren't moving along fast enough and consuming the oxygen. Should I be concerned with this? How often should I be hearing bubbles from each keg at this point if I'm looking for a slow fermentation (but without oxidation issues)?

You need to relax and have a homebrew. I put my cider in carboys somewhere between October and January rackone time about a month or two later and don't worry about it until the apple trees bloom again which is April/May. I have a chilly basement and try to wait until its below 60 down there before I make cider. For fermenting in the warmer months you can use a cheap fermentation chamber. One of my chest freezers quit on me so and I've been using a large square Ice chest, which holds a medium size bucket, two small water bottles frozen will keep the temp in there about 10F below ambient temp. I like to ferment my cider very slow about 58F-55F. It works for me, your results may vary.

Last edited:
Don't worry, I've been drinking plenty of homebrew cider lately, haha. Good to know it's not a big deal but I'm always looking to learn and improve where I can. Maybe I'll have to try different methods and compare the results. Claude Jolicoeur talks about doing primary in 1-4 weeks and then dropping the temp to 50 for secondary. That makes sense to me when it comes to oxidation.. My past primaries were probably done in about a week which is too fast for me. I'd like to shoot for about 3 weeks and see how that comes out. The floor temperature where the kegs sit has now gone up from 63 to 66. We'll see how that affects things. (I also have my new chest freezer for keezer conversion coming soon and only one keg to put in it so that may be influencing my decisions ;) )

Back