Oxygen=bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chumbi

Reaction score
So I've been reading some recipes that involve adding more honey throughout the process. They all say to stir said honey in to the fermenting mead, but I was under the assumption that after a certain point you don't want oxygen in your brew? Wouldn't stirring in honey introduce a lot of oxygen into the mixture?

Not a mead maker so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. But you're adding more honey in and so you want the yeast to kick back into gear. So the fact you have more fermentation going on, it's ok at that point if oxygen is introduced because the yeast will use it during fermentation.

Also honey is not a fruit or plant, oxygenation is much less of an issue for meads than wine or beer. Think of it this way, you know what overripe fruit looks like? That is essentially oxygenation on fruits when you leave them alone for too long. That does not happen with honey no matter how long you leave it in open air, it just attracts bugs. You need to oxygenate mead real bad before any serious issues happens and even then its mostly a flavor chance which some people are after on purpose. (some describe it as "sherry"-like)

Back