Oxyclean Vs Aluminum (sorry)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grahambo

Reaction score
Ok,

So I did a bunch of searching and it seems every post about this turns to Oxyclean vs SS. Taht's not my problem. My problem is an inherited Turkey Fryer that smells like grease. Can I Oxyclean it overnight or is there a better way? As much as I love fried chicken I don't want to brew fried chicken IPA sunday....... I will most likely have fried chicken on tasting day but yeah.

Thanks

You can use Oxyclean on aluminum. But I've read (aka haven't confirmed for myself, and I use aluminum pots) that it removes the oxide layer. That oxide layer helps prevent leaching of aluminum into the hot, acidic solution of wort.

Now, that said, you can use oxyclean and then re-oxidize your pots by simply filling them with water, raising to a boil and holding there for 30 minutes. Or, stick the entire pot(s) in the oven at 350*F for 30mins. There should be some noticeable discoloration if the pot oxidized properly.

p.s. the "related threads" at the bottom of this page all show threads relating to oxyclean on aluminum pots. What exactly were you trying to search for?

oxyclean aluminum.

I figured I would need to build the layer anyways after getting the funk out no matter how i did it.

Use it, but do not let it stay in contact with the pot for longer than necessary. Clean it well, then rinse ASAP.

What's ASAP? We talking 5 minutes? 15? overnight?

I'm planning BIAB so I'm dealing with the basket too.

(thanks)

Keep an eye on the pot to see when all the grease is removed. Dump, rinse, smell. If it still reeks of grease, repeat. I have no idea how long you'd have to soak the pot to remove the grease stench, never dealt with that.

But however long you soak it, rinse it immediately after dumping it. Use as hot of water as you can bear, it will speed things up.

If you leave it more than until it is shinny (maybe 30 minutes) it will turn dark, dark gray and I have read that level of oxidation is not good to use. But you can remove that heavy oxidation with a dose of oxiclean again.

Just watch it, when it is shinny, it is done.

Also, dish washing soap (Dawn, whatever) will go a long way in removing oil. Use it along with a good thorough scrub with a sponge. Then the oxiclean....should clean up nice.

How about using a pressure washer? Or boiling water in it for a while? Or both... :D

If the stink won't come out, you could just pick up another pot to use... :D In time, from enough cleaning cycles, you could get the old one cleaned up. Then, you'll have a second pot to use... :D

I had no idea oxyclean could hurt aluminum pots...

FWIW, I leave oxyclean in mine overnight all the time and do not reoxidize and have never noticed an issue. Maybe i'm lucky though. LOL on the fried chicken IPA. Maybe you should try it out...you never know right.

you can media blast the pot and there will be no doubt that the grease will be gone, then reseason the pot. i have a soda blaster at home i bought at harbor freight for under $100.

What about taking the pot to a drive through car wash, tossing a dollar in the machine and power blasting the inside of the pot for a couple minutes? Unless you have your own pressure washer...

Boil it with water and a healthy squirt of dish detergent in the boil. I do this in any supercaked pots. Heat will loosen the grease, dish detergent will disperse it. Watch the boil and drop to simmer the second it starts. Good luck! Mmmmmmm fried chicken.

Soda blasting. Ha! I can't wait to see the thread pop up in the noob forum titled, "Wort chiller or Soda Blaster?"

Soda blasting isn't a bad idea.

I already got most of the grease off the pot, it smells ok I think have to wait for my wife to wake up and tell me (I swear she was a bloodhound in a past life)

Most of what's left is some caked on crud up under the lid of the basket, which I guess shouldn't matter as I think it's at roughly 8.5 gallons up the side of my pot and i don't think I'd be going that high? sounds like The boiling with dish soap should be an outside activity :)

Thanks folks, I'll be attacking it after work tonight

If you leave it more than until it is shinny (maybe 30 minutes) it will turn dark, dark gray and I have read that level of oxidation is not good to use. But you can remove that heavy oxidation with a dose of oxiclean again.

Just watch it, when it is shinny, it is done.

Also, dish washing soap (Dawn, whatever) will go a long way in removing oil. Use it along with a good thorough scrub with a sponge. Then the oxiclean....should clean up nice.

I think I should mention here that when he says "when it is shiny, it is done." is kinda misleading. It may be CLEAN but then you know the oxide layer is gone. You should probably boil water in it after the fact to re-oxidize the pot if you clean it to a shine like that. People have argued til they're blue in the face regarding the safety / hazards of aluminum pots and leaching. All I've gathered from it is that an oxide layer is your best bet along with a RDWHAHB attitude. :D

Let me share an actual experience.

Letting oxyclean sit in an aluminum pot for a period of time. (overnight in my case)
Will heavily oxidate it. It turned mine almost black. This thick layer has been impervious to anything I have tried to remove it.

I have used the pot with no ill effects however. it just ain't pretty! :)

I'm not sure this would accomplish the cleaning the original poster is looking for. I would suggest finding a chemical aluminum cleanser to take the pot down to bare aluminum, then boil water to re-oxidize the pot.

First, I may be wrong, but I don't think Oxy is the best thing for baked on grease. It's great at removing organic matter, but in my experience doesn't really touch grease well.

And I don't think it will take off the oxide layer. More likely it will make it thicker, since it uses oxygen to do it's thing.

I used a propane torch to remove the grease on mine. Imagine a turkey fryer left outside for 3 years. The frozen water pushed the bottom into a dome shape and the grease baked in the sun. The torch softened the grease right up in only a few seconds.

First, I may be wrong, but I don't think Oxy is the best thing for baked on grease. It's great at removing organic matter, but in my experience doesn't really touch grease well.

And I don't think it will take off the oxide layer. More likely it will make it thicker, since it uses oxygen to do it's thing.

Oil is organic. Caustics (which oxiclean is a mild one/substitute) will destroy oils (actually turns them to soap). But you need to get the caked on stuff off, thus the sponge and dawn suggestion.

You are right, the oxygen does add to the oxide layer....that is why eventually it turns very, very dark gray (and I have read that is not good to use, the acid from the wort can dissolve it off). But the high pH that is initially seen when you use oxiclean will strip the oxide layer.

I used a propane torch to remove the grease on mine. Imagine a turkey fryer left outside for 3 years. The frozen water pushed the bottom into a dome shape and the grease baked in the sun. The torch softened the grease right up in only a few seconds.

:rockin::rockin::rockin:
FIRE
:rockin::rockin::rockin:

This is a great idea, and I'm going for it first.

Cheers

Welp, Fire did not help.

Apparantly dried on old grease is tough. Went ahead and just scrubbed the everlovin crap out of it then boiled with some soap as was suggested. Kettle is now pretty black, not 100% if that's safe or not but IIWII so yeah. we'll so how the brew goes.

Back