Oxyclean to clean beerlines and tap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustavo

Reaction score
Has any one used oxyclean to clean beer lines and chrome taps?

To be more specific, the faucet it self and inner workings

I use PBW for mine. I then run a few quarts of rinse water followed by a couple quarts of Star San solution through it all (from a keg)... Zero issues with this method. From what I've read, if you don't pick the correct type of oxy_ you could have negative flavors/effects on your brews. IMO, not worth the risk. Especially since I always have PBW on hand. :D

I run oxyclean, generic, then rinse with water, and then sanitize with Star San. I have not had a problem either. I push all with a keg on CO2.

i may be in the minority, but every other cleaning in addition to the oxyclean/star san ritual I run a pass of beer line cleaner. I have been told that oxy wont take care of beer stone buildup. Not sure if this is true or not.

i may be in the minority, but every other cleaning in addition to the oxyclean/star san ritual I run a pass of beer line cleaner. I have been told that oxy wont take care of beer stone buildup. Not sure if this is true or not.

Good point on the beer stones. Micro Matic has a nice write up on this if you are looking to learn more. I always use the Micro Matic Clean Flo Powder...but it is still the original supply from when I bought the line cleaning kit.

I will likely consider doing Oxy and Star San in between with occasional line cleaner flushes.

http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer-edu/importance-beer-line-cleaning-aid-72.html

Back