OxyClean Free - Residue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
Even when I use a very small amount of OxyClean Free, there seems to be a ghost of a white, powdery residue on everything; the sink, the equipment, the bottles etc. Even after 3 rinses with very hot water, and some scrubbing, it persists. I give everything a good shot of sanitizer before use, but still, it is often there. It isn't much, but it leaves me concerned about beer quality, head retention etc.

OxyClean seems to be a great product, except for this issue, and it is really my only option, as I live in the middle of nowhere. I don't want to use dish detergent, because I've read that it will kill the head on a beer.

Is this residue anything to worry about, as far as beer quality? Is there any way to deal with it? Are there any other widely-available options that can be found in a common shopping environment?

Thanks -

Ron

A cold water rinse after the hot water rinse may help. That's what I do when cleaning bottles and haven't noticed any residue. My theory is that the cold water does a better job of getting the last bit of soap off.

I used to use oxiclean free for all my cleaning and it seemed like it took forever to rinse, I imagine if you have soft water it's even worse. I used PBW which rinsed great but cost a fortune, then I started using the homemade version found here - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/homemade-pbw-recipe.467655/. Folks on that thread have used just the oxiclean free and sodium metasilicate (TSP/90 substitute) and reported great results. I went ahead and made the full recipe and swear by it. One or two rinses usually does it for me, hot or cold.

Back