Oxyclean and EZ cap rubber rings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopheader

Reaction score
Hey folks, any experience with soaking these "Grolsch" style bottles in oxyclean? Any damage to the rings? Should I remove prior to soak?
Thanks

OH---how much to use , just follow directions? Couldn't really find info for this purpose (bottle soak). Guess I'm not looking hard enough.

OH---how much to use , just follow directions? Couldn't really find info for this purpose (bottle soak). Guess I'm not looking hard enough.

It depends on how much mater you are mixing with and how dirty everything is. The more water + dirtier bottles= more oxyclean! I generally use about 1/4 scoop in 5 gallons of water for your typical soak. Although I don't really pay too much attention to exactly how much I'm putting in. Its non-caustic so you shouldn't have a problem. Just be sure to rinse well! :mug:

Yeah, not looking forward to the rinse, but these are pretty clean bottles--not that it matters once you get the oxyclean on them, haha. Rinse is the same. Pain but necessary. Thanks; I'll go with that. Just to give them a good clean as I've had some sanitization issues lately it appears--trying to eliminate problems.

Whenever I used the Oxyclean soak, I threw the bottles in the dishwasher after for the rinse, and then dipped in Starsan just before bottleing. Have not found a problem with that yet. Be careful when you are grabbing the bottles out of the Oxyclean, they are VERY slippery and I have dropped a handful of them on the floor before I figures this out.

UPDATE----yeah, look at the instructions before using on EZ-Cap type bottles...you know, with METAL latches? "do not use on metal"---it started eating away at my nice bright, shiny latches and now they're all half-stripped. My own fault.

Back