Oxo scale good for hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homer

Reaction score
Was looking into getting the Oxo good grips scale, but was wondering if the resolution is high enough ( my GF's gets 20% off). I want to use it to measure hops and PBW or anything else that I need a fairly high resolution for. I also like that it has an 11 lb capacity to weigh some grain in the future (I only do extract right now). Here is the description.

Oxo Good Grips Food Scale

Scale with a 11-pound capacity will make measuring your food an easy feat. Unit has a display that pulls away from the base to prevent shadowing from large plates or bowls and a convenient indicator to display how much capacity is left on the scale. There's a Zero function that allows for zeroing the scale before adding additional ingredients and an optional backlight that makes display easier to read. Measures in 1/8-ounce (imperial) and 1-gram (metric) increments for greater accuracy. Platform is stainless steel and can be removed for cleaning. With its slim profile, scale can be easily stored. Uses the four included AAA batteries. Measures approximately 11 1/4" L x 8 1/2" W.

What do you think, would this be okay for me?

Thanks

Resolution is fine, scale is excellent except that it has an auto shutoff feature. You can hit a button to bring back your weight, but it sometimes fails to do so. I use it all the time and easily work around that one problem.

For hops you are going to want to have at least a .1 oz resolution. Mine is .05 oz resolution or 1 gram resolution which is fine as long as it is accurate. I always try to check my measurement equiptment with a single point in the range of where I plan on operating it. For example I check thermometers around 150°. I would try to get something of known weight around 1 oz and compare it. These types of scales are usually precise (will come up with the same reading everytime for a given sample), but not always accurate (giving you the correct reading) in the operating ranges we require for homebrewing.

Back