Oxidisation concerns stainless steel conical "Secondary ferment" Large surface area!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjpleahy

Reaction score
Hi all. New here. I have not had any luck searching forums for a specific answer regarding WINE, not beer. I have followed the usual links of "you will find that thread here". I am looking for help regarding "secondary fermentation", using a SS fermenter. Specifically, solutions/ideas for limiting oxidis(z)ation. I will be using a 30 litre conical, that will leave a 7 litre gap of head space, with a 300mm surface area! No marbles as I have a dump valve, I don't have a floating lid, I don't want to spoil the original mix by adding 7 litres of: water/vodka/wine etc. The only solution that I have read about that seems viable is layering a blanket of argon or C02 on top of the fermenting surface. I see people doing this successfully with carboys (tiny surface area) but not a 300mm SS lid opening. The whole idea of me purchasing the SS fermenter was to minimise work/agitation i.e. not to use carboy. I will be using a 4 week to bottle kit. The lid will have to be removed and additions to the wine to prepare for secondary fermentation. Hope I have made myself clear. Any direction much appreciated. Total Newbie.

Many homebrewers add a flow of CO2 into their conicals while the top is open to mitigate intrusion of oxygen. (Gasses mix speedily, so "blanket" is a misleading term.)

Thank you for your reply sibleman. Please may I confirm that adding a flow of C02, before resealing the lid (300mm wine surface area) e.g. start of secondary fermentation, would suffice to counter act oxidisation? And I would have to accept that heavier and lighter gases do mix and don't separate? Hoping that the naturally formed (little) remaining C02, still in the wine, should/ might expel the O2 before the C02, as it is coming from below, instead of above? Or maybe, the mix of gases get pushed out if the air lock?

It's my first ever brewing. A few bits arrived today. I can't wait to start. I was a child watching my grandfather with his demijohns, and that memory just came back to me lately! Sadly both are no longer with us.

Back