Oxidation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZBeer

Reaction score
My first beer (NB Off the Topper IIPA [extract kit]) has been in primary since 4/3. I am planning on bottling it this weekend.

It has been looking great, but it has turned dark brown. I took a couple of samples recently to test the gravity.

Did opening up the carboy cause this? What, if anything can be done? Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Been reading...it's entirely possible that I am a paranoid noob.

Opening the carboy would not cause significant oxidation/darkening. Many beers will appear to darken as the yeast flocculates.

+9000 on yeast dropping=color change. This is the color it always was. The yeast make the beer opaque and therefore seemingly lighter in color.

You just have "noob nerves," like everybody does with their first batches, your beer is fine, as the cream colored yeast drops out of solution the underlying ACTUAL color of the beer comes through.

Now repeat after me.. "My Beer is not weak, it doesn't die/go bad/kill people if I look at it the wrong way or do one of the 10,000 things recommended to do (like open my fermenter up to take a gravity reading.) I don't need to hover over it like a helicopter parent over their new born baby. Beer has been made for millenia in worse situations than in the 21st century western world, so I don't need to stress out about every little thing. I will follow Papa Charlie Papazian's advice and "Relax, Don't Worry," and above all I will have faith in the little yeasties who have been making beer on their own before we even knew it was drinkable and will continue on until the earth burns up into a firy cinder, long after I have shuffled off this mortal coil." :)

And then go and read this.

:mug:

Thanks guys. After my initial panic I started reading up on things and realized that I...well...panicked.

Latest posts

Back