Oxidation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevecaaster

Reaction score
How easy is it to Oxidize a brew during racking to secondary? I have heard even slight splashing can cause noticable (tastable) cardboardy flavors, is this true? I was just racking to secondary and the hose had a curl in it at the bottom so I couldnt keep the stream under the surface of the brew for like half of the filling time. wasnt massive splashing but it wasnt smooth either, I was going f-ing NUTS, I hope im all cool, thanks again for the help!

Stop going f-ing nuts. You will be fine, your beer will be fine. You need to seriously do worse then that to get any off flavors from oxidation.

RDWHAHB

Loop

I just racked my boston lager clone to secondary an hour ago. My hose did the same thing yours did, I also kept getting fine bubbles in the line that were going into the beer. Hopefully it wont do anything, but ya never know.

olllllo said:
What can you do about it now? Nothing.

thats exactly what I was thinking in between going F-ing NUTS, but then I RDWH6+HB an now im like F it... thanks everyone!

to Pugilist - I think we need to train our hoses so they stay straight, I have both my 3/8" plastic hoses hanging from the ceiling right now with weights on the bottom of them... this will help "train" them to stay straight and lose their "memory" curl. try that out, also I think it may be a great way to dry them out completely after use, instead of recoiling them and tossing them in a box.

Haha, it's funny you mention that because I just got some new vinyl tubing for my auto-siphon yesterday and it was all curled up. It wouldn't go to the bottom of the carboy immediately and it pissed me off! :)

Now I also have it rigged up to straighten it out. :D

Don't worry.

Intentionally oxidize a few beers and mark a couple of the caps as an experiment to see what it takes and what it tastes like if you oxidize some. I can tell you it was easier than I would have thought but it did demonstrate that exercising general care while transferring and bottling prevents the issue.

Back