Oxidation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruinpilot

Reaction score
Is it necessary to worry about oxidation when draining wort from the mash tun? I have read that it is, but I have also read that the boil removes all of the oxygen and hence the need for aeration of the wort before pitching the yeast. I am a little confused by this apparent contradiction. I would love for some of the experts here to shed some light on this. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm not a brew expert but the hotter a liquid is the harder it is for gasses to stay dissolved in it. Look at kegging, you need more PSI to get c02 into solution the warmer the beer is. i would assume a 60 minute boil would release all of the dissolved 02 in the wort.

Thanks for the good answers. My suspicions were correct. I am just too new at this to say so for sure so I thought I'd check. It makes it a lot easier to brew this way for me anyways. I can use my brew kettle and set it up for a continuous sparge and dump the wort back in with out having to worry about siphoning or aeration prior to the boil. Thanks for helping to make my next brew that much simpler.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back