Oxidation issue when racking to a 6.5g?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wreckinball9

Reaction score
I know it is pretty unorthodox, but after it had fermented down to 1.008, I racked my 5 gallon batch of pear/apple cider to a 6.5 gallon bucket. I knew i was going to be adding multiple pounds of fresh pear so i needed the room.

I figured the fresh pears would begin to ferment somewhat displacing the oxygen in the headspace. However, the sweet mead yeast must have crapped out because I'm not getting any fermentation. (my apple ciders using 4184 finish around 1.010)

I need the room the 6.5 gal bucket provides for the added fruit, but am I taking a big risk of oxidizing it? what would you guys do?

I know it is pretty unorthodox, but after it had fermented down to 1.008, I racked my 5 gallon batch of pear/apple cider to a 6.5 gallon bucket. I knew i was going to be adding multiple pounds of fresh pear so i needed the room.

I figured the fresh pears would begin to ferment somewhat displacing the oxygen in the headspace. However, the sweet mead yeast must have crapped out because I'm not getting any fermentation. (my apple ciders using 4184 finish around 1.010)

I need the room the 6.5 gal bucket provides for the added fruit, but am I taking a big risk of oxidizing it? what would you guys do?

Here is the way it was explained to me. There is still a layer of air over the surface area of the must regardless of how small the layer whatever it is. The bigger the surface area exposed the more the likely hood of oxidation. Hence the shape of the carboy.

If you put the fruit in and the liquid rises to the neck portion of the carboy you should be ok.

I didn't know any of this until I started coming here. Sad to say I have five gallons of cider in a 6.5 carboy right now. So I'll post what happens to it here.

Back