Oxiclean.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamesj2851

Reaction score
I made a 5 gal bucket of oxiclean so i can soak some bottles to get the labels off. Can it be saved for more bottles later on or will it go bad?

How much later are we talking? I will personally use the same bucket for an evening for cleaning a bunch of bottles, but if I leave it overnight it starts to get very filmy.

About a week.

I found this on another thread, it seems much more informed than my personal feelings!

The oxygen component from Oxiclean dissipates within minutes to an hour, depending on the temperature of the water it's dissolved in. What's left over is a sodium carbonate solution, aka washing soda. I reuse it several times over a week or 2 time, until it gets too grimy to my (low) standards. Not much can grow in there from what I've experienced. Everything gets thoroughly rinsed and Starsaned after that anyway.

I do the same with PBW solutions. They get reused, and sometimes reheated somewhat. The sodium metasilicate is the main agent in that, together with... sodium carbonate, again.

I made a 5 gal bucket of oxiclean so i can soak some bottles to get the labels off. Can it be saved for more bottles later on or will it go bad?
Sure you can use that liquid the next day, even the next month, for cleaning more bottles and to soak labels off. Although the oxygen has dissipated, the actual leftover active ingredient is washing soda (Na2CO3), a great all-purpose cleaner with a high pH of ~10-11, the main ingredient in powdered laundry detergents.

Back