OxiClean and plastic carboy question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kronicking

Reaction score
I am looking at cleaning my plastic carboy with OxiClean free and saw lots of forums talking about a residue it could leave. Lots of them say you can get this residue off with a vinegar and water solution (which I am looking into since I can't find StarSan). I was just wondering if vinegar would have any negative effects on a plastic carboy compares to a glass one? Also I was wondering how strong of a vinegar and water solution it requires?

I get that residue because I have hard water and I let it sit in the carboy too long. Add TSP to that Oxiclean and you'll get less residue. If you want to not have any problems use PBW. All cleaners seem to work better when hot. Where are you that you can't get star-san?

I live in Manitoba and cannot seem to find any in the Home brew shops that I frequent. They seem to be missing quite a few things so I am thinking about looking around at others hopefully one will have it.

I live in Manitoba and cannot seem to find any in the Home brew shops that I frequent. They seem to be missing quite a few things so I am thinking about looking around at others hopefully one will have it.

Yea same here, 2 places I've asked didn't have it. I haven't asked Brewers Direct yet but I am all new to this still.

Back