Oxiclean and copper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eskimo Spy

Reaction score
Is oxiclean safe to use on my copper immersion chiller? I've been soaking it in my brewpot with oxiclean, not very long, just long enough to get any sticky wort residue off.

Is oxiclean safe to use on my copper immersion chiller? I've been soaking it in my brewpot with oxiclean, not very long, just long enough to get any sticky wort residue off.

I try not to soak any reactive metal very long in any cleaner, but a short soak should be fine, so long as you rinse it thoroughly.

Whenever possible, I like to thoroughly rinse my chiller immediately after removing it from the wort, and no further cleaning is necessary. Sometimes when chilling, I'll run the hot output water into a rubbermaid tub...when the wort is cooled, it comes right out of the kettle and into that tub.

What ever you do do not used Bleach it will turn green

I try no to soak any reactive metal very long in any cleaner, but a short soak should be fine, so long as you rinse it thoroughly.

Whenever possible, I like to thoroughly rinse my chiller immediately after removing it from the wort, and no further cleaning is necessary. Sometimes when chilling, I'll run the hot output water into a rubbermaid tub...when the wort is cooled, it comes right out of the kettle and into that tub.

I took your advice and put the IC right in a tub filled with the output water in a tub, and I left it there until I had pitched and put away. When I came back, a quick wash and rinse, perfect! Thanks for a great suggestion!

Back