oxiclean amounts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Mr. Awesome

Reaction score
This is a big day of asking silly questions for me.

I just started using oxiclean to clean some bottles and my glass carboy yesterday. The box (oxiclean free, no perfumes, yadda yadda) says that when soaking items to clean them to use 1/2-1 scoop per gallon. Well, I followed that when filling up my bottling bucket to clean it and some bottles out and came away with a mild chemical burn on my hand. Nothing too serious, just irritation and dryness. Nothing SWMBO's moisturizer couldn't fix. Then, i read on hear that people use one scoop for five gallons.
Anyone want to share some wisdom and experience regarding this?

Also, my carboy stinks of hops after a 24 hour soak in oxiclean. Suggestions for fixing that?

Nosnum

Reaction score
I just recently used Oxi Clean for the first time. I used 1 scoop for five gallons and it worked very well. I used it to de-label and clean my bottles. It worked out really well. I got steaming hot water, mix in the Oxi Clean and let the bottles soak for about 25 minutes or so. I would say about half of the labels peeled right off.

Also, to my surprise, there was mold floating on the surface of the water that came from the bottles. The Oxi Clean actually cleaned off the mold out of some of the bottles that didn't get rinsed out right away without scrubbing! It was a much easier process then I thought it was going to be.

-Mark

DrunkTrucker

Reaction score
I usually let my bottles sit for a day or two. I have totes I soak them in. I just throw in a handfull of oxiclean. Works great.

shafferpilot

Reaction score
holy cow! I got some oxiclean powder in a moist hang nail the other day and YEEEOOOOWWWWW.

I use about a half a scoop in my 5.5 and 6.0 gallon carboys. That's almost always plenty. If any smell remains, I rinse it really well, put around 3 cups of white vinegar in it, fill with hot water (120F) and let is soak for a couple days.