Overshot the OG, need some advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

korndog

Reaction score
I have a Hop Rod Rye clone fermenting, which it's been doing nicely for 10 days now. The arilock is bubbling at a 12-15 second clip now. My OG was 1093, well over my inteded 1072, thanks to an AG panic attack and a couple of pounds of DME. It's down to 1030 now. Normally this is beer finishes at 1.017 for 7.2% ABV. What FG should I expect in the end? I am using Wyeast 1272 btw. It tastes pretty damn good out of the sample tube. Do I need to condition longer than normal? Should my dry hop go in later thank usual in that case? I guess this would be an Imperial IPA then; right?

Thanks
KD

I think what Homebrewer99 was getting at there was, assuming 75% apparent attenuation (which is about right for WY 1272), your FG should be 1.023 (93*0.25=23).

You have the OG of an IIPA, but I can't say how you fit with the rest of the style. For instance, if you didn't adjust your hop additions to the higher OG, you probably will be too sweet. It ought to be a whopper of a beer, though.

Yes, most likely, you will need to condition it longer than you had planned. If you want to hold off on dry hopping for that reason, go ahead. Personally, I like to dry hop in the secondary early to see how that conditions with the beer. If I want to, later on, I can refresh that dry hopping. However, I keg, so that's easy to do. If you bottle, that's not worth the effort.

TL

TexLaw said:
I think what Homebrewer99 was getting at there was, assuming 75% apparent attenuation (which is about right for WY 1272), your FG should be 1.023 (93*0.25=23).

You have the OG of an IIPA, but I can't say how you fit with the rest of the style. For instance, if you didn't adjust your hop additions to the higher OG, you probably will be too sweet. It ought to be a whopper of a beer, though.

Yes, most likely, you will need to condition it longer than you had planned. If you want to hold off on dry hopping for that reason, go ahead. Personally, I like to dry hop in the secondary early to see how that conditions with the beer. If I want to, later on, I can refresh that dry hopping. However, I keg, so that's easy to do. If you bottle, that's not worth the effort.

TL

Thanks for the advice Tex. I am hopeful that the massive quantity of Columbus, Centennial, and Amarillo that went into this beer will carry me through on this.

I just racked this to keg, and got a final of 1.022 and 9.46% ABV. First taste is quite good. Slightly cloying and a touch sweeter than planned. Plenty of hop goodness, and a nice rye crispness. I think it could have gone longer in the secondary, but i't darn good. Another delicious mistake!

Funny, this mistake turned out to be a winner. I scored 39-41-42 for a silver medal in a pretty big competition (Mayfaire) in the specialty beer category. Amazing what a little time can do for a big brew.

KD

Back