Overpowering hop burn/bite in neipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
So i Kegged a neipa via closed transfer one week ago, we left for vacation so I burst carbed it at 25psi for 5min then set it to 10psi before we left. So I’m pouring the first glass today and it just has this back end bite, sting, bitterness. I would’ve thought after one week this would have mellowed. The nose is great I was just hoping for something softer and juicer, the sting/ bite in this is just overpowering and distracting And it’s all on the back end of the tongue on the finish And it lingers. So far very dissatisfied. I consistently make neipa’s and this has the worst burn yet I’m begining go question my process and how long these beers are sitting on the dry hops, maybe my hop stand technique is leeching a lot of matter into the beer. Idk. Help.

If you've only poured one glass, chances are you have hop sediment in it. I just experienced this the other day when transferring mine. Prior to transferring, I took a sample. Bad hop burn. Upon closer inspection, there was a lot of small hop debris. I use an inline screen filter during transfer and got my racking arm angled right before transfer. After a couple days on the gas, first pour was excellent. If this is the case, yours will improve after a pint or two.

If you've only poured one glass, chances are you have hop sediment in it. I just experienced this the other day when transferring mine. Prior to transferring, I took a sample. Bad hop burn. Upon closer inspection, there was a lot of small hop debris. I use an inline screen filter during transfer and got my racking arm angled right before transfer. After a couple days on the gas, first pour was excellent. If this is the case, yours will improve after a pint or two.

I was wondering if after sitting a week any floating debris has settled out and now I’m pulling it into the first few pints. I hope that’s all.

For sure there's going to be yeast bite 'til that clears out.
That said, there are some hop strains that are more prone to palette attacks, like Galaxy.
What hops did you use?

Cheers!

For sure there's going to be yeast bite 'til that clears out.
That said, there are some hop strains that are more prone to palette attacks, like Galaxy.
What hops did you use?

Cheers!

lol. Weeeeell. Galaxy, citra, mosaic in the hop stand with a ddh of galaxy and mosaic 1.5oz each 3oz ea dryhop So 6oz total DDH. in a 5.5gal batch.

Back