Overpitched?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geh4rig

Reaction score
I make 1 gallon batches and usually pitch 1/2 a packet s-05 for my ipa .. I accidentally pitched almost the whole packet.. What problems will this cause? It appears to b fine.. Bubbling 24 hrs later, is this going to affect the fermentation or cause any problems with the taste of my beer?

I wouldn't worry about it. It might have more sediment to rack off of than usual.

But why do you do 1 gallon batches? It seems like a lot of work for <10 beers.

I've read that if you overpitch, the main thing that can happen is that new yeast cells don't form because there's enough old yeast cells around, and therefore a) you don't get the flavors that develop during the yeast growth stage (probably you don't care about this for us-05) and b) you won't get full attenuation due to the lack of fresh yeast.

Normally this can occur when re-using a yeast cake. But in your case, doing 1 gallon batches, I guess it is possible. Mr. Malty recommends only .2 packet for 1 gallon of 1.048

This is just from reading, I've never had this problem myself.

From Wyeast:

High pitch rates can lead to:
•Very low ester production
•Very fast fermentations
•Thin or lacking body/mouthfeel
•Autolysis (Yeasty flavors due to lysing of cells)
Over pitching can often lead to a very clean beer lacking an ester profile (banana).

mlg5039 said:
I wouldn't worry about it. It might have more sediment to rack off of than usual.

But why do you do 1 gallon batches? It seems like a lot of work for <10 beers.

Small apt.. Brew stovetop., made 2 different batches this wkend , good way to make a lot of different beers w little equip or space

Latest posts

Back