overnight force carb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmoney05

Reaction score
I left my beer to age in a keg for the last two weeks but left the co2 off... A friend over here thought it tasted fine but to me its still pretty flat. Is there any way to force carb over night or should i just leave it at 12 psi and not worry about it. It is going to be served tomorrow.

Put 30 psi into the keg. Keep it connected and lay it on its side ...roll it back and forth for ten min. Let it sit and it will be good. And get better over time also

With my ferm chamber at 40F, I use about 25psi for the first 3 days, then slowly back it off to around 13psi...I like my beer around 2.8 volumes....It's drinkable by day 4

If you don't want to fight over-carbonation (which is easy to get with the high pressure shake and/or roll method) then set it to serving pressure, at temperature, and leave it for 2 weeks. You could check it after a week, but the longer you give it the better.

Next time, leave the CO2 line on so it can actually carbonate to the desired level.

My SOP is to crash cool the carboy to 40F, transfer to a CO2 flushed keg, flush headspace, then lay keg on side and force carb at 30psi for ~3-3.5 minutes, rocking semi vigorously. Dial it back to ~12psi for serving (don't forget to purge the headspace before pouring). This will get the beer about 80-90% carbonated and very drinkable. Takes a day or two at serving pressure to reach equilibrium (final carb level), but have never overcarbonated a keg.

what about shaking it around a little bit at 12psi?

is there a point c02 will stop pumping in if the beer starts to hold carbonation?

I do what helibrewer does although now that i have another CO2 line in my kegerator (and sufficient pipeline) i'll just be putting the backup keg at 10psi and letting it sit until i kick my primary keg.

I already poured out the first glass when i got back in case it had sediment in and it seemed fine. I went ahead and gave it some shakes and then turned it up to 30 psi. Ill move it back to 12 and purge before serving this afternoon, hopefully it gets a little bit of a carb from that

just tried the first pour and it came out great, no sediment in there either. The foam head looks perfect.

Apparently the party agreed last night, the entire keg was empty before the end of the cotton bowl, I will for sure be making the caribou slobber again

Back