Overkill using lots of different hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerkench

Reaction score
I tested a double IPA from a well known microbrewery that claimed to have chinook, citra, nugget, columbus and cascade in it, and this got me thinking about the need to use so many different hops. Is it overkill?
What are your opinions and experiences?

I used to think the same thing and figured it was better to just use 3 or less types to really get your point across. Then I tried an IPA from Maine Beer Co. at a brew fest that claimed to have 5 or 6 different kinds and was thoroughly impressed.........thus mind blown.

I imagine as long as you are kinda staggering the additions or at least using some sort of gameplan rather than just tossing in heaps of random hops then it will come out somewhat legitimate.

Now keep in mind this is all coming from a complete noob. :ban:

For IPA's and IIPA's I normally use a minumum of 3 different hops and up to 5 with great results. You can't just start throwing random hops in there though. It is important to make sure the hops compliment each other.

I liked Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA so much I looked up what hops were used. I used 5 hops in my cougar Country IPA-Warrior for bittering,1.2oz each of ahtanum,EKG,simcoe & mosaic for flavor. The remaining .8oz each for a 1 week dry hop. Been bottled since last Friday & a pm brew besides. Flavor of odd amount left proves it'll be tasty.

Latest posts

Back