Overkill for 1 gallon all grain batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rave808

Reaction score
Would a 2 or 3 gallon rubbermaid water cooler be overkill to use in 1 gallon all grain batches to keep the mash at temp ?

I use a 2 gallon Rubbermaid cooler for 1 or 2 gallon batches.

Photo094.jpg

Photo095 (2).jpg

Yes, it does drain well. my 10 gallon mash tun is built much the same way. I have done several recipes with this 2 gallon coleman and it holds temps fairly well. I did a wheat barley back in early December that came out really well. This allows me to brew smaller batches inside during bad weather when otherwise I would not get to brew.

Nice !!! I saw the Coleman at Walmart tonight but would need some instruction on making that manifold

I use a bazooka screen. I have to tip the cooler when it gets near the bottom with batch sparging. I don't know if I would use it for fly-sparge or not.

I use a 5 gallon cooler for 3 gallon batches and I can get up to 1.085 or so with just grain and any gravity I want with a little sugar and/or DME.

Back