Overheated mash halfway through

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
I was at 152 for around 20 minutes or so. It dropped to 151 so I turned on the heat figuring a minute or 2. The phone rings and I forgot the heat was on and it got to 180 before I realized.

What should I expect? Was the 20 minutes at 152 enough to save the beer or did the excessive heat effect the long chains or short chains or whatever?

I added some ice cubes but it only dropped to around 175 as its 15 gallons

A tad pissed

You just did a mash-out 20 minutes in. I think a lot of folks do shorter mashes since most of the conversion happens early so you may not be far off. If you're happy with your gravity, then you're all good. If you need a little boost, you could correct it with some DME if you have some on hand. If not, you could boil it down a bit. You'll end up with a smaller batch and some caramelization if you go that route.

Perform a starch test.

That is a short mash. I did somthing similiar. I tried to make the Mac and Jacks amber clone and upon reheating my mash, realized after taking the temp and not quite being where I wanted to be, I stirred it and realized I hit 200F in the mash. This was about 15 minutes in. I only hit 50% of my gravity target. It had no character, and is basically undrinkable nine months later.

Pre boil I hit 1.042 on a 1.052 beer. After the boil I think I should get close...maybe all is not lost.

Its nothing but 2 row and white wheat. Seems really watery.

Last edited:
Most of the conversion happens in the first 30 minutes of the mash. You’re not far away from that, and your OG is ok, don’t know it’ll that’s what you expected, but it’s ok.
The only other thing to worry is tannins extraction. But that you’re only gonna know for sure after you finish your beer.

Latest posts

Back